Q. I failed to notice a woman and a baby next to me when I was smoking. Will that baby die of SIDS?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 03, 2019

I smoke, and I usually avoid smoking around other people. However, I work at a hospital, and I went outside the hospital, and I lit up a cigarette. I did not notice that there was a woman with a baby, and I stood near them smoking for quite a few seconds. Now I am worried that the baby might die of SIDS, and it will be my fault. Is this possible?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Please find my observations below.

Second-hand smoke or passive smoking can cause SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) only in infants who are exposed to such smoke regularly and in a closed environment like their house. Your cigarette smoking was an isolated event and unlikely to influence the health of the baby in any significant manner.

Cigarette smoking in the open dilutes the harmful gases in the atmosphere and if you smoked only for a few seconds then the baby's health will not be compromised even if the baby has inhaled a small amount of the smoke. Please be assured that your action will not harm the baby in any way. In conclusion, you can forget the incident as a small error and stop feeling guilty about the entire episode.

Hope this answers your question.

| 

How do I make peace with my husband's smoking habit?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband smokes a lot. I am quarreling with him often regarding this issue. I feel so sad and depressed when I see him smoking. My husband gives me assurance that he will quit. But, he is doing the same again. Please help me with this problem and save my family. Everybody says to igno...  Read Full »

Is it dangerous to stay in a smoking hotel room when pregnant?

Query: Hello, I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and will be staying in a smoking hotel room for three nights. Is this dangerous in any way for the baby?  Read Full »

Ask a Toxicologist Now