Lichen Sclerosus

Lichen sclerosus is a skin disorder affecting the genital and anal areas and is commonly seen in postmenopausal women. It often occurs due to genetic causes and hormonal changes. This condition presents with smooth, shiny white patches on the skin, making the skin thin, wrinkled, itchy, and bruised. It is diagnosed by doing a biopsy and physical examination. Topical corticosteroid ointments are used over the affected region in the skin.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to treat white, raised patches on my penis which is there for seven months?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a confidential problem. I have had a white, raised patch on the backside of my penis for seven months. I have tried Clobetasol Propionate 0.05 %, but it did not help.  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. It looks like you have lichen sclerosus, which is a chronic inflammatory condition of skin seen in both genders. It presents as glistening white patches on the skin over the genitals and is sometimes associated with redness and tightness of...  Read Full »

What is the reason for tightness and discoloration in the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tightness in my penis, along with some discoloration on the penis head. I get wound sometimes. Also, I do not have the habit of masturbation, but there is some difference when I tried to check the changes. And the shape and size vary all the time.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From the history, it seems you have developed lichen sclerosis et atrophicus. In this condition, discoloration and tightness occur. Since when do you have this issue? Is it spreading? I need to see the discoloration so that I can assess. Please revert with a ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for black patches on the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a black patch on my penis tip and no other issues. I thought it is normal and will go in some time, but it does not. Please provide some solution.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Do not worry. I will help you with your concern. Such black patches could be due to multiple causes like warts, moles, and many more. I need to see this patch to make a definitive diagnosis so I can suggest your treatment accordingly. Please revert with a photo. Do...  Read Full »

What is the worst progression of lichen sclerosus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have lichen sclerosus and some dark spots around my clitoris. I have noticed they have progressed, and I am concerned about vulval cancer. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H. Mavani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and nothing looks abnormal. If you have itching only, then you can use candid cream locally. It will be more helpful if you have a fungal infection. Drink more water as the urine should be...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for red and itchy skin around anus and vulva.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a really embarrassing problem. The skin around my vulva and anus is red and it keeps cracking or bleeding. The skin around my anus is also flaky and yellow in some places. It is itchy and is causing me serious embarrassment. It has started affecting me psychologically as it has bee...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern. There is no significant erythema or discoloration appreciable in the attached picture, so that is a good indicator.   Read Full »

I have phimosis and my opening has increased to about 4 mm. Is this lichen sclerosus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have phimosis as long as I can remember. Around my 20s, my phimosis started getting worse, and my foreskin kept getting tighter to the point where the opening is now about 4 mm, and I have ballooning of the foreskin. I am 40 now and would like to get it treated once and for all. He...  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Shirpad Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your case, and the following are my pointwise answers. 1. The progressive tightening foreskin is not always suggestive of BXO. Instead, gradual tightening is an age-related process when a male does not retract foreskin often and clean the undersurfa...  Read Full »

Why is Triamcinolone not treating a rash on the penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a rash on the head of my penis for around two months. They are purplish, sore and tender to touch. I have seen my primary care doctor and he was not sure about the condition and gave me Triamcinolone acetonide cream over two weeks ago. It has not helped. I was also tested recently...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The condition you are suffering is not STD (sexually transmitted disease) for sure because none of the STD is present like this. There are three most common probability of your problem. Penile Lichen planus: It present in a similar manner with purplish color, itchin...  Read Full »

Is the infection on penis head Zoon's balanitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a severe infection on my penis head which I suspect (also confirmed by a doctor) to be Zoons balanitis. The infection has been for a year now. I am circumcised and this infection has been recurring for the past six years in the same area. The infection has eaten off whole skin ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia Anjum

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Can you send a picture of your lesion for proper diagnosis and treatment? Please avoid application of steroids over the area. It is good that you are circumcised.  Read Full »

Paining arm with some change in skin complexion. How to treat this?

Query: Hello doctor, The last year my skin complexion changed on my hand and then it spread up to my elbow. I consulted the doctor and he advised for biopsy test. The result of which was fine. From this year my arm is paining because of this and the mark has spread up to my shoulder. Please help me in thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Can you please attach the picture of your hand? And also the biopsy report? Is it on just one side? Or both the arms? What do you mean by complexion change? Is it becoming dark or light?  Read Full »

The skin of my penis has shrunk and lost elasticity. Is this reversible?

Query: Hello doctor,A spot appeared on the skin of my penis.¬†Seven months later, this stain spread and my skin began to become more sensitive. Then I used a cream with corticoid (Lotrimin) and it got worse because now my skin has shrunk and lost elasticity. What should I do? Is the corticosteroid effect r...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I think you have a condition known as genital LSeA (lichen sclerosis et atrophicus). LSeA is characterized by atrophy which manifests as tightening of the prepuce a...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.