HomeAnswersGeneral Medicinelifestyle modificationHow can I reduce my abnormal cholesterol levels?

Please suggest few measures to reduce abnormality in cholesterol.


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Vivek Chail

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At January 6, 2016
Reviewed AtNovember 30, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have undergone preventive blood test. There is abnormality in cholesterol level. I have enclosed the reports for your reference. Kindly advise what to do based on my reports. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read through your query in detail. Based on your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) these are my observations:

Diabetes screening, chloride content, pancreatic amylase, iron levels, liver function test, thyroid function test, kidney function test and digestive enzyme lipase are all normal. Slight variation is observed in blood cells. Calcium content is slightly low. Cholesterol is in borderline and triglycerides are high.

I would like to give you few suggestions:

  1. Please get a complete cardiac evaluation done and consult a cardiologist.
  2. You can get basic investigations like ECG (electrocardiography), echocardiography and cardiac enzymes done for your betterment.
  3. For a period of six months try to change your diet as well as lifestyle and repeat lipid profile test. In case there is no decrease in cholesterol level, then you can start taking tablet Statin under a cardiologist guidance.
  4. Have a nutritious and balanced diet containing 2200 kcal. Use olive oil for cooking.
  5. If there is family history of heart diseases, then please discuss the same with your doctor.
  6. To keep yourself fit, do 30 minutes of yoga or exercises every morning.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vivek Chail
Dr. Vivek Chail

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy