Limb Elevation

How to reduce my mother's leg pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 68 years old. Her weight is 75 kg and height is 165 cm. She has severe right leg pain from behind the knee and around the calf muscle, especially in the nerves. She has varicose veins on her thighs and has had continuous pain for nearly 35 years following her third pregnan...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I do understand your concern. It is not possible to make conclusions with limited information, but you can do the following things for her to get pain relief. Ask her to elevate her leg while lying down on bed to at least 9 to 12 inches above like using three to four pillo...  Read Full »

Can you please explain my father's test results?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 78 years old. He generally maintains good health except being diabetic for the last two years. However, since last once month his WBC, urea and creatinine values are abnormally high indicating kidney malfunctioning. He has lost 4 to 6 kg in the last three months and his appe...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Diabetes appears to be in good control. However, due to renal disease, blood pressure must be high. He is on multiple medications for blood pressure for no...  Read Full »

How to treat leg pain and soft tissue injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 20 days, I went to a party, got drunk and met with a fall. My leg started paining from the next day. I could not walk without it hurting. I went to A and E and they said it was just a soft tissue injury. Still now, I am having pain and not able to bend it properly or fully extend ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arti Sharma

Paediatrician, General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your pain and concern. It is possible that you have suffered a muscle sprain. I advise you to try RICE approach (rest, ice, compression and elevation) for it. Rest the sprained part for at least 48 to 72 hours completely. Do not use it. Apply ice wrapped in ...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for lower leg swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy and active 17 year old female. I have swelling in my right calf or lower leg when sitting. There is no foot swelling. The swelling is present in the calf and it goes away within an hour if I move around. I do have night sweats. I get easily bruised, feel constantly cold and...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reason for swelling is either venous or lymphatic. I guess you have undergone venous Doppler for deep vein thrombosis and it was normal. The next thing left is a lymphatic cause, so you need lymphoscintigraphy and thyroid test done. Also, restrict salt intake. You hav...  Read Full »

My ankle is swollen and paining after it got twisted. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I was running, and I fell into a pit. My ankle got twisted, and I could feel some cracking sound. I had a swollen ankle immediately. I have been icing for 2 days and now the swelling has reduced. I am unable to walk. I have pain when I try to move or walk. I had a fracture fibula of t...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.As there is a history of twisting injury to your ankle with a kind of cracking sound or sensation which you have felt, I will advise you to undergo an immediate x-ray of the affected part to rule out any bone injury. X-ray ankle (anteroposterior and lateral views). Getti...  Read Full »

Is buddy taping sufficient to fix my right fifth metacarpal fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I sustained an injury recently and I had an X-ray. The X-ray shows I have an intraarticular fracture of the right fifth metacarpal with significant ulnar displacement for consideration of ORIF. I went to my local hospital and they did a CT Scan. They sent me home and said to wait for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to take RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment. Rest with buddy strapping with length achievement and plaster slab application. Ice application twice daily before the slab. Compression bandage with Elastocrepe bandage inside the slab. Elevatio...  Read Full »

I got injured while playing football. Is there any ligament damage?

Query: Hi doctor, I was just playing football and got stamped on rather severely. I always get studded, but this one is much worse than the rest. The top side of my foot and a bit to the right has large swelling and pain. Is there any ligament damage? I hope not as it was only the first game of the season....  Read Full »

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist, Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photo that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I think it might be grade 3 strain and there is no such tear of ligament. But, it is always good to get confirmed about it. Have an x-ray as soon as possible. You can follow the menti...  Read Full »

My son punched on the wall and is complaining of severe pain. Will it be a fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 14 year old son punched a wall with his fist, and it resulted in an immediate swelling of a knuckle. I applied an ice pack immediately for 20 minutes, which decreased the swelling to some extent. The color of the skin has also slightly changed. He is complaining of severe throbbing pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your son's injury. The clinical photograph that you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows some evidence of soft tissue injury and a small hematoma (a small collection of blood beneath the dermis) in the soft tissue overlying ...  Read Full »