Q. Kindly explain the test results of my father.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

My father is 78 years old. He generally maintains good health except being diabetic for the last two years. However, since last once month his WBC, urea and creatinine values are abnormally high indicating kidney malfunctioning. He has lost 4 to 6 kg in the last three months and his appetite is also reduced. His legs (feet) are swollen. He is unable to walk and feels tired. I am enclosing the copies of various test results and doctors prescriptions for review by expert and advise further course of action.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• Diabetes appears to be in good control. However, due to renal disease, blood pressure must be high. He is on multiple medications for blood pressure for now, according to prescription.
  • Bone marrow and peripheral smear report along with splenomegaly is suggestive of a possible cancer. Further studies essential to identify the exact type of leukemia or lymphoma possibly.
  • Swollen legs could be due to hypertension. Once it comes into control, along with it, stockings and limb elevation in lying down position and overnight should help.
  • The kidney function is deteriorating. If it progresses, he may require dialysis, which will depend on glomerular filtration rate evaluation. At present, not to worry based on creatinine or urea values.
  • At present, further study to identify any type of cancer is essential. Discharge report, if present would have been more helpful.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|