Q. How do I know if I have listeria or toxoplasmosis?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of passing a possible infection to my baby in this time span? Can one transmit toxoplasmosis or listeriosis to a fetus during the incubation period of infection? Should I undergo any tests? Or is my risk small? Thank you.

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• If there is an active infection, then you can transmit the infection to the baby.
  • Please note if you get any fever or flu like symptoms, then you need to investigate and treat.
  • It is a very less likely possibility of the infection as the incubation period ranges from 24 hours to 70 days for listeria and 10 to 23 days for toxoplasmosis.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|