Toxoplasmosis

How are listeria and toxoplasmosis diagnosed?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is an active infection, then you can transmit the infection to the baby. Please note if you get any fever or flu like symptoms, then you need to investigate and treat. It is a very less likely possibility of the infection as the incubation period ranges from 24 ...  Read Full »

Is parasitic eye infection contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had some irritation in her eye. So, we went to the doctor, who said she has a parasite in her eye. After reading about it on the internet, I am worried that she might go blind. It is a very new relationship, so I wanted to know if it is contagious?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The parasite inside the eye is usually, cysticercus or hydatid. It is not transmitted through natural sexual routes. It is usually ingested through food. Some parasites, for example, lice or mites infesting the eyelashes are transmitted through physical contact. But, the...  Read Full »

Can Rovamycin forte be taken during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 1 month pregnant. My doctor prescribed me Rovamycin forte as my rubella IgG came positive and IgM negative. Is it safe to take this medicine?  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. Rovamycin is for toxoplasmosis. What is the report of toxoplasma? Your rubella test IgG came positive and IgM came negative. So, you have immunity against rubella and do not need any treatment. By the way, Rovamycin forte is safel...  Read Full »

What are the future side effects of toxoplasmosis?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 7 years old. Now, she is normal. Her mother had toxoplasmosis when baby born. After birth, doctors examined baby's blood and she has not got the germs of toxoplasmosis. Now my question is will it cause any problem in the future?  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, toxoplasmosis does not have any effects on human being. It is known to cause problems in animals only. However, if the baby is a female child, then she may have to get tested when she is planning for pregnancy, as it may have some effects during the fertile perio...  Read Full »

Should I be worried about a cat scratching my pregnant wife?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife who is 5 months pregnant was slightly scratched by a cat. Almost half a drop of blood was visible on one of the scratch. Cat is not vaccinated. It just sleeps and eats in our house. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Important point to consider is your wife's exposure to cat litter. Toxoplasmosis can spread through the exposure to cat litter; usually antibodies to toxoplasmosis are checked in first three months of pregnancy. They might have been checked already. If not, then I would ...  Read Full »

List some diseases that can pass from animals to humans.

Query: Hello doctor, What are the diseases that people can get from animals and which diseases can pass from animals to humans? I would like to know a few examples of these types of diseases. How they are transmitted and which animals carry them, etc? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The disease or infection that spread from animal to human is called zoonotic disease. Here are a few examples. Rabies: it is a lethal disease if occurred, it spreads mainly from infected rabid dog to human by direct bite. Toxoplasma: the main infected animal is cat ...  Read Full »

What diseases can we potentially catch from our pets and how to prevent and treat them?

Query: Hello doctor,What diseases can we potentially catch from our pets and how to prevent and treat them?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Toxoplasmosis is an infection from cats to human. We have to wash our hands, maintain cleanliness, and avoid contaminated food. 2. Ringworm can be contracted from spores that survive without a host. Personal hygiene and cleaning of clothes and utensils with hot w...  Read Full »

Can Triamcinolone cause macular edema?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years, male. Before 10 months, I was diagnosed with acute posterior uveitis- Chorioretinitis with macular edema in my right eye. I received an intraocular injection with a corticosteroid and was treated with Clindamycin for two weeks, without having any evidence of actual cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your condition and wish you quick recovery. Triamcinolone periocular injections are used in extreme situations and should be under the coverage of antibiotics, which usually are at least two groups, at the time of the injection and should be done ...  Read Full »

Can HSV positive cause abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, Myself and my wife got tested for chromosome test as my wife had failed premature delivery. The test result indicates that we are HSV IgG positive, CMV and rubella positive. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This indicates that TORCH infections (toxoplasmosis, other - syphilis, etc., rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes) might have caused the premature delivery or stillbirth. HSV (herpes simplex virus) causes herpes, CMV is cytomegalovirus and rubella is another viral...  Read Full »

How can the presence of toxoplasmosis be checked in pregnant woman and fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 28 years old, and her weight is 49 kg. She is on Thyronorm 75 for past one year. We did some blood tests a year back as per our gynecologist's advice in view of positive ANA two years back which came normal in the same year. According to that, her IgG for antiphospholipid w...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, to rule out acute infection or re-infection there is a role of IgM avidity testing and once the toxoplasmosis IgM is negative and IgG titers are high, then IgG titer is repeated every four weeks.The rising titers are suggestive of active infection, and amniocent...  Read Full »