Q. What are the possibilities of Listeria monocytogenes to colonise and proliferate in a dry plate?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2019

Can Listeria monocytogenes colonise and proliferate on a plate that had plain pasta on it but pasta has been taken out, and plate left out for about a week at room temperature? I am 16 weeks pregnant, and when I was washing said plate, I spilled some of the dirty water from it onto a tea towel that my husband then used to dry a cup which I then drank water out of. I am wondering how likely if at all that listeria may have contaminated my cup through the tea towel.

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Critical Care Physician Geriatrics Microbiology
#

I understand your concern. I suggest that you get a culture for listeria from the cloth which was used. If the cloth was dry, then the chance of the listeria to survive is less. It is difficult to predict if the water was first infected with the bacteria. Then if it would have survived for the time. Follow-up if you have any fever or symptoms.

| 

Is it likely for Listeria to colonize on a plate that has been dry for a week? It would have a bit of starch leftover on it from the pasta, but that is all.

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

#

It is highly unlikely. These bacteria usually do not survive in dry conditions for long.

| 

Meningitis

Article Overview: Acute inflammation of the meninges, which are three protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord, is called meningitis.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Meningitis? Acute inflammation of the meninges, which are three protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord, is called meningitis. This inflammation is mainly caused by a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, and sometimes due to certain drugs or toxins, cancer, and other ra...  Read Article

Do mild cramps, bleeding and lower back pain indicate miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and according to LMP, I am 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant now. I had three previous miscarriages (two chemical pregnancies and one at 5-6 weeks). This pregnancy has been really well until a few days ago. Last week I had an ultrasound and the heart rate was 173. That night,...  Read Full »

Ask a Microbiologist Now