Q. What does the abnormal values of liver enzymes in blood indicate?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am asking on behalf of my 55-year-old dad who is a heavy drinker. He is diabetic but his sugar level is in control now. He has been drinking 750 mL whiskey daily for the past 1 year and 300 mL daily for the past 10 years. His current medication includes one Pan-D capsule, one Cobadex Czs tablet, one Dynaglipt tablet, and one Ozomet 500 tablet daily. I got his blood reports now everything is fine but the value related to the liver is way high like-

Serum bilirubin is total- 3.11 mg/dl, direct- 2.10 mg/dl, and indirect- 1.01mg/dl.

SGPT- 118.1 U/L.

SGOT- 137.3 U/L.

Gamma GT- 953.0 U/L.

Alkaline Phosphatase- 383.6 U/L.

Total protein 7.50 gm/dl.

Albumin 3.80 gm/dl.

Globulin 3.70 gm/dl.

A/G Ratio 1.06 gm/dl.

HBsAg is negative.

So can you please tell me what his reports indicate? And can he recover?

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

I saw laboratory values for the Liver Function Test (LFT), and I suggest that the values are deranged, high, and need medical evaluation.

From the reports, I can conclude the following points-

1. His total bilirubin is high and reflects a jaundiced state.

2. An increase in the direct bilirubin level reflects obstructive jaundice.

3. The various liver enzymes- SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase), SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase), GGT (glutamate pyruvate transaminase), and ALP (alkaline phosphatase) are also high means of liver cell injury.

History of chronic alcohol intake can cause LFT values like this. Therefore, based on the history and LFT values (as you provided) possible diagnosis is alcoholic hepatitis with obstructive pattern jaundice.

I suggest that your father needs an ultrasound abdomen scan to look for changes in the liver and any intrahepatic or extrahepatic cholestasis.

I also suggest you visit a local physician for further guidance and treatment. Please take all your test reports when you do so.

I hope this helps you.

|