Q. What is the reason for change in liver function tests? Taking Concor 5 mg for High BP.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Published on Jun 12, 2018

I am a 45 year old male. I have recently checked my blood test and my liver function test shows 1.6 total bilirubin, 0.6 direct bilirubin and 0.9 indirect bilirubin. What might be the problem? I have high blood pressure and fatty liver. My current medication includes Covance 25 mg, Concor 5 mg and Storvas 5 mg. I am worried. Please advise.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

Considering your indirect bilirubin being high (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is generally a sign of hemolysis (breakdown of red blood cells).

Did you have a recent fever? You also have fatty liver, which may also cause this.

I would suggest you to repeat the test after two weeks. If it is still high, then repeat a complete liver profile with direct and indirect Coombs test, LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and serum haptoglobin.

Revert back after two weeks to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

No, I did not have fever. I do not have any issues other than the fatty liver problem. I am afraid whether this is a symptom of any type of cancer.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

#

Please do not overthink yourself. It is probably may be nothing.

Repeat the tests after two weeks. If they are not normal, then we may need to investigate further.

Revert back after two weeks with reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How to get relief from chest pain? I'm taking Concor 5 for hypertension.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 88 kg. My waist is 36 inches. Around 20 years back, I was heavily into sports and a winner of a gold medal at the national level athletics. Nine months before, I was diagnosed with hypertension and occasional mild chest pain or di...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is evident that your solution of one problem led to another. Systolic bridging does cause chest pain and also smoking can cause vasospasm that is, constriction of vessels. Hence, the chest pain will be alleviated only if you totally quit smoking. All the doctors who...  Read Full

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your husband's hemoglobin and WBC count are going down very fast, it is not normal. For such low hemoglobin levels, blood transfusion is needed immediately. A peripheral smear examination should be done, to look for schistocytes like fragmented RBC and normoblast count...  Read Full