Q. Can high cholesterol with palmar erythema mean liver damage?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

I was diagnosed with palmer erythema last year. I am 28 years old, however, I started drinking moderately from 16-20 then stayed sober for a year and a half. However started drinking again at 22 and have been more of a binge drinker consuming on average of 20-50 drinks a week over the last 5 years. I never drank everyday usually 6-10 one day during the week but would drink alot on Friday annd Saturdays. Since my PE diagnosis I have had my liver enzymes checked 3 times along with CBC and autoimmune diseases and just about every kind of blood work that could cause along with an ultrasound and everything has came back normal except my cholesterol and triglycrides were a high.

Since I have gotten my triglycrides in healthy range but cholesterol is still a little high. My question is how accurate is all of this in detecting liver damage. I do not have any symptoms of disease except the red palms. And should I be concerned? Since I am now sober as I have talked to several people in the cirrohsis and and fatty liver disease community and it definitely scared the heck out of me how dangerous alcohol really is. So I am just hoping to get some advice and if there is anything else I can do to be certain? Or what is your opinion on my story? Definitely never drinking again and totally not worth the risk of developing some kind of liver disease.

#

Do not worry. You may have anxiety more than disease itself. For raised total cholesterol you may take low cholesterol diet with regular exercise. Quitting of alcohol may be useful. Get it done ultrasound abdomen and liver scan. Avoid alcohol intake. Use tablet Pantoprazole before breakfast for one week. Eat green leafy vegetables, do yoga and meditation. Be happy and do not worry. If cholesterol is still high, then you may take antihyperlipidemic drugs. Please consult your physician, he will examine and treat you accordingly. Take care.

| 

I have PIH after erythema multiforme. What can I apply to let the pigments fade?

Query: Hello doctor, I had erythema multiforme because of drug allergy and currently left with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. How long will it last and how and what should I do or apply to let the pigments fade? I have my liver, biopsy test, and I need someone to explain the results.  Read Full »

Why am I having abdominal burning, throat pain, and diarrhea after alcohol drinking?

Query: Hello doctor,I saw a doctor for abdominal burning and pain in the throat after one night of drinking alcohol. She said I had gastritis but I did not say I had diarrhea as well. What shall I do? Currently, I am taking Lansoprazole.  Read Full »

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)

Article Overview: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune condition, which results in widespread inflammation in the body. To know more about this condition, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Rheumatologist

What Is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus? Systemic lupus erythematosus or SLE is an autoimmune inflammatory disease and the most common type of lupus. It causes widespread inflammation of the skin, blood vessels, joints, and other organs. Genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors seem to cause this ...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»