Q. Can high cholesterol with palmar erythema mean liver damage?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

I was diagnosed with palmer erythema last year. I am 28 years old, however, I started drinking moderately from 16-20 then stayed sober for a year and a half. However started drinking again at 22 and have been more of a binge drinker consuming on average of 20-50 drinks a week over the last 5 years. I never drank everyday usually 6-10 one day during the week but would drink alot on Friday annd Saturdays. Since my PE diagnosis I have had my liver enzymes checked 3 times along with CBC and autoimmune diseases and just about every kind of blood work that could cause along with an ultrasound and everything has came back normal except my cholesterol and triglycrides were a high.

Since I have gotten my triglycrides in healthy range but cholesterol is still a little high. My question is how accurate is all of this in detecting liver damage. I do not have any symptoms of disease except the red palms. And should I be concerned? Since I am now sober as I have talked to several people in the cirrohsis and and fatty liver disease community and it definitely scared the heck out of me how dangerous alcohol really is. So I am just hoping to get some advice and if there is anything else I can do to be certain? Or what is your opinion on my story? Definitely never drinking again and totally not worth the risk of developing some kind of liver disease.

#

Do not worry. You may have anxiety more than disease itself. For raised total cholesterol you may take low cholesterol diet with regular exercise. Quitting of alcohol may be useful. Get it done ultrasound abdomen and liver scan. Avoid alcohol intake. Use tablet Pantoprazole before breakfast for one week. Eat green leafy vegetables, do yoga and meditation. Be happy and do not worry. If cholesterol is still high, then you may take antihyperlipidemic drugs. Please consult your physician, he will examine and treat you accordingly. Take care.

|