Q. Please explain about my liver hemangioma from the CT report.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

Kindly go through the CT scan report, which shows any lesions or evidence of liver hemangioma. Please clarify it. Also, please advice how serious it is.

#

• Yes, these lesions are consistent with a hemangioma. Generally in liver, symptoms due to hemangioma are directly proportional to the size of hemangioma. For such small hemangioma less than 1 cm without any symptoms, nothing must be done.
  • There is no risk of formation of cancer in this hemangioma. Sometimes, they can be in liver throughout the life without any symptoms.
  • Symptoms in hemangioma depend on the size and the location of the tumor. More than 5 cm sized hemangioma need follow up CT scan and more than 10 cm sized one need surgery to remove.
  • Hemangioma in the liver itself is asymptomatic, but larger sized hemangioma compress nearby structures and this causes development of symptoms based on which adjoining organ is being compressed.
  • For such a small sized hemangioma nothing is required further.

For further information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

What is your opinion about gall bladder and urinary bladder distension?

#

• They are normal findings. Gall bladder was distended because this CT scan was done in fasting phase. This is not an abnormality.
  • Urinary bladder distension without any stone or any abnormality is normal acceptable finding.

For further information consult surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

| 

Is there any serious problem in the abdominal CT scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I have queries regarding my mom's health. She is suffering from some abdominal issues. When she had a CT scan, they found an impression with the liver. I attached her report and please tell me if there is a serious issue. Yesterday she got admitted with intolerable abdominal pain. Her do...  Read Full »

After a brain tumor removal, I still have some persistent symptoms. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a hemangioblastoma tumor removed from the back right cerebellum last year. The operation was successful and the tumor was 100 % removed. Before my surgery, I felt some twitching, night sweats, and headaches. I no longer have headaches, but I am having some night sweats and my twi...  Read Full »

How can severe hip pain be effectively treated?

Query: Hello doctor, From the start of this month, I have been suffering hip pain and some tightness around the lumbar region. I had a steriod injection and thereafter the pain reduced to 80%. I was on Aceclofenac 100 mg two times a day after 15 days. I had an MRI and the report is attached. I have a majo...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now