Q. How to manage a loose tooth due to trauma in a 4-year-old?

Dr. Rakshana Devi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My 4-year-old kid's front upper teeth got hit by the edge of a door. The gum and the upper lip had swelling. But it is almost gone. There is little pain when touching the teeth and the gum. Today when I saw it, the teeth were slightly loose. My question is, if the teeth is slightly loose will it tighten back on its own, or will the teeth fall? What should I do?

#

Good morning. I hope you are well. Thank you for approaching icliniq. I saw your query. I will help you solve the issue.

If the teeth become loose, then the teeth have to be extracted. There is no need to worry about it because the front teeth are the primary teeth, and the permanent teeth will be in good condition.

For pain and swelling, I advise you to give your son a painkiller and an antibiotic syrup. I will suggest the name of the painkiller and the antibiotic after knowing the medical history. After three days of medications, the pain and swelling will subside, and then the teeth can be extracted.

But one thing you have to remember is after the extraction site is healed, your son is advised to use a space maintainer appliance in that region.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Trauma.

Intraoral periapical radiograph of that teeth to check the condition of permanent teeth.

Vitamin deficiency.

Mobility.

Extraction and space maintainer appliance.

Proper soft diet.
Proper soft brushing.

Follow-up after extraction to know about space maintainer appliance.

|