Q. What can be done to save a fractured milk tooth?

Answered by
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I took my 4-year-old daughter to the dentist yesterday as two days back she fell and they said she had fractured her front tooth and it is loose. I am worried it will fall out and I really do not want it to also with it being fractured if it does come out I am worried a part of the tooth will still be left behind. What can I do? With my daughter being so young is it possible to cap the tooth or do something to fix it? Also, if there is an option to fix it, I am looking for something that is not going to be too much or too painful for her.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Do not worry. I have gone through your query and would like to tell you that it is a milk tooth and even if it is removed (due to severe mobility), we can give space maintainer, but I will have to see the X-ray and clinical photo of the tooth to guide you properly. No such serious effect will be there as the permanent tooth will anyways erupt there. An X-ray is definitely necessary to check whether there is any damage to the following permanent tooth within the bone.

Secondly, if there is pulp exposure alone, we can do pulpectomy (like RCT) and if just enamel or dentin fracture, we can either smoothen the margins or fill it with tooth-colored cement. As I said, it is just milk tooth that will anyways be replaced by permanent tooth, be totally relaxed. The situation is totally manageable and no permanent effect is going to be there on the child.

Thank you doctor,

I have no idea. They just said that it was fractured and if they are the worse grade, can they still be fixed?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

They can be fixed if not too much mobile. You visit nearby pedodontist. He will definitely try to solve it.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »

Please suggest a way to get instant relief from sensitive teeth.

Query: Hi doctor,I have tooth sensitivity problem. I am suffering from this problem since last two months. I am unable to drink water also. I tried many sensitivity toothpastes, but it does not work properly. Please suggest me a proper drug or suggestion for instant relief.  Read Full »

Swollen gums with bad smell from drilled teeth.

Query: Hello doctor, My bottom teeth were drilled for a root canal but after drilling doctor told that my teeth have a split and he filled that hole with a cavity. From the past one year, my gum was swollen and bad smell is coming out from that teeth. From the past one month, I have had bumps on my back o...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.