Q. My partner fears the dentist would pull out all his teeth. Are his concerns valid?

Dr. Divya Banu M

My partner has type-2 diabetes and has lost several teeth. I am trying to talk him into a dentist visit, not necessarily to walk out with implants or dentures, but to just get an exam and a cleaning done. He believes that the few teeth he does have left will not survive even something as simple as teeth cleaning. That the dentist would take one look and want to pull them. Are his concerns/fears valid? Thank you.

#

How are you doing?

First of all, do not worry. Maybe he is afraid of dental visits because of previous experiences. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause bone loss and hence tooth mobility, in conjunction with improper oral hygiene. Since I do not know the condition of his remaining teeth, I cannot comment on the treatment that will be advised for him. You can maybe send me an image of his teeth and I can advise you more precisely.

Secondly, I would advise him to get his missing teeth replaced as this prolonged period of missing teeth might cause aggravated bone loss. The implant will not suit him as he is diabetic, you can go for removable dentures or fixed partial denture (if he has sound teeth left).

Tell him to go get a dental visit done. Dentists are there to help you out. Nothing will be done without his consent. Moreover, he can explain his problems and fears and the doctor will accordingly plan the treatment.

Feel free to ask further questions. Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|