Q. What are the ways to manage bleeding gums?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Blood comes from my teeth and my teeth are going to loose its grip. How can I stop this blood which is coming from my teeth and how can I strengthen them?

#

Gum bleeding and gum recession or weakness is a sign of gum condition called gingivitis. Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums caused due to constant irritation by tartar/calculus (hardened yellow deposits on the tooth). Food deposits or plaque that settles on tooth gets calcified on the long run and becomes hardened calculus deposit. Constantly irritated gums become weak and starts to bleed when we brush or in the morning time after waking up.

A professional scaling and polishing procedure is done by an ultrasonic scaler instrument to remove that calculus. Once removed, the gums take a day to heal and the gum bleeding will stop the next morning. Please visit your dentist and get this procedure done. This procedure can be done once in 6 months if required. Although we do a proper brushing every day, there are certain spots between teeth where the bristles fail to reach. Hence a professional tooth cleaning is always adviced once in a while. There are certain brushing techniques that can be followed to prevent calculus accumulation. Get to know that from you dentist and please do follow them.

1. Follow a healthy diet and lifestyle.

2. Get a dental checkup once in 6 months. (To diagnose any issues if present at the earliest).

3. Follow proper oral hygiene by brushing twice daily especially before bed and mouth rinsing after every meal.

This way you will have a healthy teeth and gums.

|