Q. What is an acceptable level of cortisol in someone with PTSD?

Dr. Nazma Parveen
Published on Apr 06, 2018

I am a 35 year old male. What is the normal range of cortisol in a 24-hour collected urine probe? Is having too low cortisol levels in 24-hours collected urine probe a clinical matter? In the last six months, I had three urine testings with the account of cortisol between 10-12 µg/24 hours. I am dealing with PTSD and a distinct fatigue.

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You have not mentioned why you got your urine cortisol levels checked. The normal cortisol levels vary between 10 to 100 micrograms and vary from one person to another and is affected by many factors.

What are the symptoms you are experiencing? Are you having any sleep disturbances? Are you on any medications? Please revert back with the above answers for proper diagnosis.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank your for your answer and your further questioning about my health issues. As I mentioned in my first message, I am dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder. In conjunction with that, one of my biggest challenge is severe fatigue. Sometimes, it just constrains me to the bed. I nearly cannot get out of it, it pushes me down. When I exercise to get into activity again and to stimulate my circulation, afterwards it gets even worse, I am exhausted, not activated. So, in research, because of my struggle with PTSD, I found an article which mentioned decreased cortisol levels in people with PTSD. So, I was curious about my own cortisol level. Therefore I did several testings. I really wonder if low cortisol could be one of the underlying reasons for my fatigue. You wrote about a range from 10 to 100 microgram. I saw several ranges, which began on 20 micogram upward. What is a range I can orientate on and what are the influencing factors? Respective to my medication I can add the following: Fluvoxamine 100 mg (1/d), Pantoprazole 20 mg (1/d). I personally think that 10 to 100 is such a great range and if you are at the bottom of it, could it be that you are at the bottom is primary?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You are absolutely correct. Low cortisol levels are seen in patients with PTSD. The normal range of cortisol varies from laboratory to laboratory depending on the method they use. The normal range should be mentioned in your report and should be taken as the reference range. Low levels of cortisol do cause extreme weakness, fatigue and low blood pressure. You should discuss this with your physician.

You already taking Fluvoxamine for PTSD. I hope you are taking cognitive therapy as well. Another natural way to improve the adrenal function that I can suggest is ingestion of licorice about 25 milligrams daily.

I hope that answers your question.

I had an ACTH stimulation test today. Should I get any physical reaction when the ACTH is in?

Query: Dear Doctor, I had an ACTH stimulation test today. Should one get any physical reaction when the ACTH is in? If one have a physical reaction is that good or bad? Or do the people who do not get any reaction are the ones who get the bad results?  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for posting your query. There are certain side effects of ACTH stimulation tests (adrenocorticotropic hormone) like palpitations, sweating, anxiety and nausea. But these reactions may or may not happen in every person. If it does not happen, then it does not mea...  Read Full

Am I having a heart problem or PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor,I have already talked to my very own Cardiologist but have not really gotten much. They just told me I have been having a lot of tachycardia lately but with a normal rhythm. They told me I should be fine but I feel I am not. Three months back, I had gone into cardiac arrest due to a dru...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Likely it is an anxiety only causing you tachycardia. If possible please attach your reports like monitoring report, and echo if you have. Echo will tell us whether there are any residual effects on the heart of your previous problems. You should get a thyroid test d...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now