Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Is there any alternative for Benzodiazepines in treating anxiety and PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old and suffer from severe anxiety and PTSD. For about five years, I have been on a variety of Benzodiazepines. Right now, I am on 2 mg Xanax four times a day. It is better than nothing, but I have built up such tolerance benzodiazepines hardly work for me. I know the on...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you rightly commented, Xanax and other Benzodiazepines are not helpful in the long term management of anxiety as they cause dependence. You become tolerant, and they do not work. At best, Benzos can be used sparingly for the short term only. Barbiturates are no lo...  Read Full »

Faced domestic and sexual abuse. Now, PTSD is ruining my life. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, PTSD is controlling my life. I was raped six to seven times and faced domestic abuse for four months until I escaped. Each time sex has been hard for me. After the domestic abuse, it is so bad that I have to stop in some strokes and if not then I will throw up on them.Sometimes it happen...  Read Full »

Dr. Poosha Darbha

Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sharing your concern with me. I can understand your situation and feelings. I can assure you that this is not going to be with you forever. You would benefit from counseling and therapeutic techniques such as cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) by a clinica...  Read Full »

Please diagnose the exact cause of my condition.

Query: Hi doctor, Is diagnosis important? I have been diagnosed by many therapists and each one has had a different diagnosis. One doctor says it might be BPD and other says it might be a bipolar disorder or Asperger syndrome or cyclothymia. Why is it so? I am starting to feel like I am wasting my time tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. BPD and bipolar disorder have similar symptoms. Cyclothymia is its minor form. Persons with BPD are said to be on the borderline between neurosis and psychosis, persons with bipolar disorder experience episodes of extreme mood swings ranging from depression to mania. ...  Read Full »

I was left with a hole in the skull after hematoma evacuation. Is it safe?

Query: Hi doctor,Seven months ago, I had a serious head injury. That time, I was left with a small hole in the skull after extradural hematoma evacuation. Then, I had no discomfort in the head. Now, I have terrible tension around the back of the head and dull pressure and pain next to the hole. I feel hyp...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A small piece of the skull bone could be cut and the hole in the bone was made. According to the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is no residual brain damage. Under these circumstances, I can explain your headache as follows. The pain a...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having negative thoughts and vivid dreams?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 56 years old. He is having negative thoughts and talks about deaths, has a vivid dream with severe sleepiness. He is not enjoying anything which he enjoyed before. He has short-term memory loss. He has fatigue with increased appetite. He has little issue in breathing during ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father may have PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). It is less likely to be due to glioma. The symptoms of a vision problem and memory loss are due to gliomas. You can give him a small dose of antidepressants and Benzodiazepine for the sleep disturbances. You ca...  Read Full »

What possible psychiatric problems can a person develop in the following scenario?

Query: Hi doctor, I do not want a therapy, but I would like your opinion on what kind of personality or problems a person could develop as an adult if the following happened to him as a child. He got sick as a kid from meningitis in the 60´s. His uncle was a pediatric and placed him on a first check...  Read Full »

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear that you experienced these traumatic events in your childhood. The given events are traumatic. When a person experiences continuous traumatic events in his life, he could develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This could happen at any time ...  Read Full »

Suffering from nightmares, sleeping problem and headache. Can this be due to glaucoma?

Query: Hi, I am suffering from nightmares, sleeping disorder and one sided headache especialiy while reading or watching TV. Can this be due to glaucoma? I did not check it with a doctor yet.  Read Full »

Dr. Ananth S

Andrologist, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Nightmares indicate an anxiety disorder. If you have flashbacks, anxiety attacks associated with the nightmares and if they are related to past abuse that you have been subjected to then you might be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Your one sided headaches especially whi...  Read Full »

What is an acceptable level of cortisol in someone with PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. What is the normal range of cortisol in a 24-hour collected urine probe? Is having too low cortisol levels in 24-hours collected urine probe a clinical matter? In the last six months, I had three urine testings with the account of cortisol between 10-12 &micr...  Read Full »

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned why you got your urine cortisol levels checked. The normal cortisol levels vary between 10 to 100 micrograms and vary from one person to another and is affected by many factors. What are the symptoms you are experiencing? Are you having any sl...  Read Full »

The therapist wants to reintroduce the abuser to my child. Is this standard protocol?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a child who was severely abused (physical, domestic, verbal, and emotional abuse) from birth to age 5 by their biological father. At age 5, their biological father was not allowed to see our child and it remained that way for about seven years. My child is 12 now and has been dia...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your therapist is doing it properly. It can be part of the management, but I would like to suggest that it will be better to first introduce pictures of the biological father or his accessories and observe the reaction of your child. Then, in the follow-up session...  Read Full »

Why am I getting mental images of my past?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from what I think are mental problems since last year. To give you some context, I went abroad for studies, and I felt extremely lonely and miserable there. After a year, I was suffering from sleep problems. However, one day, I had confusing thoughts, just before ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This problem you are facing is a mental illness for sure. The description of your symptoms seems that it is a serious issue, as it has been persistent for the past 10 months. The problem you are facing is probably visual hallucinations or illusions, which are a part of ps...  Read Full »