Q. Why am I having low hemoglobin and what should I do?

Published on Jul 11, 2018

My hemoglobin is 6.2 and I feel very weak from inside my left chest. My reports are normal ECG, sugar, vitamin B12, X-ray, everything is normal. Why my blood is getting low and what should I do? I am a male aged 63 years.

Hematology Pathology
#

You are having anemia and because of that weakness can be felt. You should get further investigated with peripheral smear examination, reticulocyte count, serum ferritin estimation, serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) investigation, serum transferrin saturation to do further workup for anemia. You can be given an iron injection or PCV (packed cell volume) transfusion to raise hemoglobin level. Take iron-rich foods for increasing hemoglobin level like green leafy vegetables, jaggery, red meat, beans, etc. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full

I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 years and I am a female. I have anemia with a very low ferritin level 2.1 and HB is 6.5. Can it be cleared by taking diet and iron supplements? Which is a good time to take Zincofer syrup, how much ml? Please advice.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of iron deficiency anemia. I want to check your full CBC report. The investigations that are suggested in your case is peripheral smear examination, transferrin saturation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) also. You need to be...  Read Full

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Nageswara Rao
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her condition will improve once her hemoglobin levels go up. She needs to be evaluated for the cause of low hemoglobin. Check her CBP (complete blood picture) with peripheral smear. Also, look for iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Check her blood sugar levels ...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now