Iron Infusion

Why is my stomach making a lot of loud noises?

Query: Hi doctor, My stomach makes a lot of loud noises even though I am not hungry. I have anemia and when I started to take Ferrous sulfate, my stomach noises begin again. I remember that eventually, I started to feel pain along with it. So my doctor adviced me to stop taking the medicine for a month un...  Read Full »

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Some people do have rumbling noise in the tummy. Is there any associated nausea or vomiting or abdominal distension? Have you lost weight? How is your appetite? You have not mentioned the reason for your taking Ferrous fumarate? What was the cause of your anemia? Was thes...  Read Full »

Why do I suffer from low energy and weakness for a few days now?

Query: Hi doctor, I have low energy for a few days now. I have done a blood test, and I have a ferritin level of 10 ng/mL. After taking supplements, my ferritin got increased to 16 ng/mL. But, still, I suffer from weakness. My doctor advised me to have an iron infusion to raise my levels. I still have lo...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It also depends on the level of hemoglobin. There are no additional benefits seen while having an infusion. It gives a rapid rise in hemoglobin. If you have responded to oral treatment, then it is not necessary. Please send your blood reports soon. If everything is fine...  Read Full »

Are recurrent anal fissures dangerous?

Query: Hi doctor,I have recurrent anal fissures. When I consulted a doctor, he said the blood loss is very less. But, another doctor advised me to check for CBC. Is this a serious issue?  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Even if the blood loss is less, it can lead to the development of anemia. Hence, CBC is essential (complete blood count). If you have anemia, then you will require iron therapy for that. To prevent fissure, you need to have a soft diet with lots of salad and roughage so t...  Read Full »

Iron infusion caused side effects in me. Is there any treatment for anemia without side effects?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 49-year-old woman. I am suffering from severe anemia (iron and B12 deficiency). This might be the result of prolonged malnutrition over the past few years. The problem is that I have developed extreme sensitivity to most of the drugs, medication, treatment. In the past, there wer...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having Iron injection allergy. Hence, it is better to avoid. But sometimes, we have to take decision according to benefit to risk ratio. In your case benefit could be more because severe anemia should be treated. (Your ferritin is also very low). So, blood tr...  Read Full »

Why am I having low hemoglobin and what should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,My hemoglobin is 6.2 and I feel very weak from inside my left chest. My reports are normal ECG, sugar, vitamin B12, X-ray, everything is normal. Why my blood is getting low and what should I do? I am a male aged 63 years.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having anemia and because of that weakness can be felt. You should get further investigated with peripheral smear examination, reticulocyte count, serum ferritin estimation, serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) investigation, serum transferrin saturation ...  Read Full »

How to find out the reason for shortness of breath and extreme fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom, who is 76 years old, has a transferritin saturation level of 17. She has been scheduled for iron infusion therapy. She feels extremely fatigued, short of breath and arthritic pain. She cannot tolerate oral Iron. She has had iron infusions before, but do not last long. What to do? ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am trying to understand whether she has iron deficiency anemia or anemia of chronic disease or myelodysplastic syndrome. Did she ever get a bone marrow biopsy or hemoglobin electrophoresis? Can you share her latest complete blood count (CBC) before and after the inf...  Read Full »