Lung Cancer

I have pleural effusion with a mass in my lung. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case of pleural effusion with mass in the lung, the first thing any doctor should suspect tumor in the lung. There are other conditions that can cause pleural effusion like infection, inflammation, etc., but these conditions would have shown in the pleural fluid analys...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for an ALK-positive patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother was diagnosed to have ALK positive before two years. He had brain and bone metastasis. He got a brain surgery, WBR and spine radiation. He was on Crizotinib for 10 months and after brain and bone metastasis progression he was on Ceritinib for 5 months. In the latest scan, the d...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your plight. There are a few options more at this time if general condition is good. From the details it appears that chemotherapy is not exhausted yet and it can be utilized now. If only targeted agents are to be discussed, then Alectinib can be offered. ...  Read Full »

Please tell me about the life expectancy of cancer.

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has been having left shoulder pain for months. For the last three weeks, he is also having the hoarseness in his voice (can barely speak) and little energy. He is eating well, but not gaining weight. He has no other symptoms. He is a carpenter and 50 years old. He smokes cigaret...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I am really sorry to hear about his state. The description given by you with x-ray findings (attachment removed to protect patient identity) supports the diagnosis of lung cancer. Tuberculosis is a possibility, but it is less likely. Hoarseness...  Read Full »

Does tree in bud nodules in CT scan mean cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My CT scan says defined streaky opacity with associated loss volume and clustered tree in bud nodules have developed in the anterior segment of the upper left lobe. The associated central bronchi are impacted. Without an obvious mass, although a small central lesion is not excluded. The ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tree in bud appearance generally favors an infection. Can you upload your CT scan so that it may help? Do not bother about lung cancer. Revert with more information to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist  Read Full »

Does white patches on right side of my lung x-ray suggest cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I am a smoker for 12 years. I am having throat congestion, cold, and now having excess mucus production with no history of weight loss. I have taken a chest x-ray in which there is a white patch on the right side. I wanted to know if it is cancer? My father is...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your x-ray. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The chest x-ray shows a prominent right hilar area most likely due to rotation. I mean you were rotated in position when the x-ray was taken and this might cause a false appearance of right hilar...  Read Full »

Is GemCarbo chemotherapy effective?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma. She was having trouble breathing due to pleural fluid buildup. As per our oncologist's suggestion we have started Gemcitabine-Carboplatin chemotherapy before 10 days. The suggested course of treatment is six cycles of chemothera...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety. By the EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) not been successful, do you mean that the test was not positive for mutations or it could not be performed due to inadequacy of the sample? Please clarify. Starting EGFR inhibitors in the absenc...  Read Full »

Is biopsy necessary for a lump in a fluid-filled lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle is suffering from breathing problems for ten days. Now the condition is that he cannot even inhale oxygen through the nose. He is inhaling through his mouth. And he is so weak that he cannot use the restroom by himself. Doctor adviced him to do echocardiography. The report sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, your uncle is suffering from left pleural effusion with left lung cancer. According to your history, he is very symptomatic and needs draining of fluid frequently to relieve dyspnea. Also, your doctor has rightly said that we must do a biopsy of the lum...  Read Full »

Can lung cancer cause back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and I have back pain. I wanted to know about the possible association of back pain with lung cancer. I have been a smoker for the past 12 years. My daily consumption is about 6 to 10 cigarettes. I do not consume alcohol, and I do not chew tobacco and have no o...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Back pain is not a common symptom of cancer lung. It can happen in a case of lung cancer with metastasis that is late stage. Your symptom is not related to cancer at all. It is due to strain. Physiotherapy will cure your problem. At this age and your habits without a fam...  Read Full »

Can breathing treatment hide a lung cancer if done right before a chest x-ray?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55 year old female. Can a breathing treatment given before a chest x-ray, hide lung cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query. Please find my observations below. Breathing treatments like nebulizers will not hide any suspected lung cancer when given before taking a chest x-ray. Chest x-ray is a basic investigation used to screen the lungs field and heart and usuall...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative to bronchoscopy to get tissue for testing cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a family friend that recently was admitted to hospital for shortness of breath. She was advised that after several examinations that she has a form of cancer. The information that we were provided with was that they were unable to ascertain where or how severe the cancer was. S...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Confirmation of any form of cancer is by biopsy only when the malignant cells are visualized under a microscope and reported to be positive. Rest of the radiological test like HRCT and MRI are highly sensitive but not specific. I am assuming that the cancer was either d...  Read Full »