Lung Cancer

Is GemCarbo chemotherapy effective?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma. She was having trouble breathing due to pleural fluid buildup. As per our oncologist's suggestion we have started Gemcitabine-Carboplatin chemotherapy before 10 days. The suggested course of treatment is six cycles of chemothera...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety. By the EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) not been successful, do you mean that the test was not positive for mutations or it could not be performed due to inadequacy of the sample? Please clarify. Starting EGFR inhibitors in the absenc...  Read Full »

Is biopsy necessary for a lump in a fluid-filled lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle is suffering from breathing problems for ten days. Now the condition is that he cannot even inhale oxygen through the nose. He is inhaling through his mouth. And he is so weak that he cannot use the restroom by himself. Doctor adviced him to do echocardiography. The report sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, your uncle is suffering from left pleural effusion with left lung cancer. According to your history, he is very symptomatic and needs draining of fluid frequently to relieve dyspnea. Also, your doctor has rightly said that we must do a biopsy of the lum...  Read Full »

Does "tree in bud nodules" in CT scan mean cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My CT scan says defined streaky opacity with associated loss volume and clustered tree in bud nodules have developed in the anterior segment of the upper left lobe. The associated central bronchi are impacted. Without an obvious mass, although a small central lesion is not excluded. The ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tree in bud appearance generally favors an infection. Can you upload your CT scan so that it may help? Do not bother about lung cancer. Revert with more information to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist  Read Full »

Can lung cancer cause back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and I have back pain. I wanted to know about the possible association of back pain with lung cancer. I have been a smoker for the past 12 years. My daily consumption is about 6 to 10 cigarettes. I do not consume alcohol, and I do not chew tobacco and have no o...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Back pain is not a common symptom of cancer lung. It can happen in a case of lung cancer with metastasis that is late stage. Your symptom is not related to cancer at all. It is due to strain. Physiotherapy will cure your problem. At this age and your habits without a fam...  Read Full »

Can breathing treatment hide a lung cancer if done right before a chest x-ray?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55 year old female. Can a breathing treatment given before a chest x-ray, hide lung cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query. Please find my observations below. Breathing treatments like nebulizers will not hide any suspected lung cancer when given before taking a chest x-ray. Chest x-ray is a basic investigation used to screen the lungs field and heart and usuall...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative to bronchoscopy to get tissue for testing cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a family friend that recently was admitted to hospital for shortness of breath. She was advised that after several examinations that she has a form of cancer. The information that we were provided with was that they were unable to ascertain where or how severe the cancer was. S...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Confirmation of any form of cancer is by biopsy only when the malignant cells are visualized under a microscope and reported to be positive. Rest of the radiological test like HRCT and MRI are highly sensitive but not specific. I am assuming that the cancer was either d...  Read Full »

Does blood in sputum of chronic smoker indicate cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother just turned 26 years old three days back and he is a smoker from last seven years. On an average, he smokes 6 to 7 cigarettes a day. He developed a morning cough within a year of smoking. Now my query is that a few days back his stomach was upset and he puked. After puking ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is unlikely to be lung cancer. Firstly, the lung cancer is unlikely at this age group and frequently develop after 45 to 50 years. Next thing, blood should have been present consistently and other symptoms would have been present. Most of the times such occasional...  Read Full »

How to manage lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has lung cancer. It is in the fourth stage. Currently, the doctor has advised her to take targetted therapy. She is taking Gefitinib tablets every day. Is there anything serious? Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please say about the histopathology report. Please explain the condition briefly. Please state whether there was a mutation done before starting Gefitinib. All these things are essential for deciding the response to Gefitinib. In general, on taking Gefitinib, the averag...  Read Full »

Does it require a medical attention when getting phlegm with blood?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner had phlegm with blood just now without coughing. He does not have chest pain and a fast heartbeat. Before a day, he also had a headache and hot temperature. Yesterday, he poked his nose with his finger at night. This morning, he had phlegm coming with a portion of blood. Does ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A possible diagnosis can be lung cancer. For it, your partner must be a smoker for 15 to 20 years or over 50 years so that he can spit blood continuously. If your partner does not have these conditions, then you must be calm. Respiratory tract infection can also be a ca...  Read Full »

I have pain in ribs and breathing problems. Is it a sign of lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, For past four weeks, I have pain in my ribs. Also, I am experiencing breathing problems. It feels like something has stuck in the heart. For, a few days pain has been decreased. But breathing problem persists. I am also experiencing pain in my lower back. The pain is massive at night tim...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Such symptoms are seen in the following conditions: 1. Heart diseases. 2. Pneumonia or Pleural Effusion. 3. Acidity or muscular pain. Now to be on the safer side, I would recommend you to get a Chest x-ray and ECG done. Based on the reports, we would discuss the tre...  Read Full »