Lyme Disease

Why do I have confusion and significant short-term memory loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a serum PEL IFE with a free light chain analysis. PEL and IFE were normal, but elevated kappa 39.86 mg/L and lambda 19 mg/L with the ratio of 2:1. The test was done due to persistent and worsening polyneuropathy. Currently, I am having confusion and significant short-term m...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. These reports need evaluation for the cause of multiple myeloma. However, I do not strongly suspect it based on these reports as a lot of the asymptomatic general population has an elevated kappa chain with no significance. Still, a bone marrow e...  Read Full »

Can Lyme disease remain asymptomatic for about 20 years?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you have Lyme disease for 20 years and not know until now? I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2001. The same year, I went camping and came home with tick. Tick was found and removed by a physical therapist. I feel all symptoms of Lyme disease. My fingers are curling at the first ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Rheumatologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lyme disease is generally divided into three phases: early localized, early disseminated, and late phase. Late Lyme disease occurs months to a few years after the onset of infection and may not be preceded by a history of early localized or disseminated Lyme disease. Ar...  Read Full »

What are my neurological symptoms pointing at?

Query: Gender: Male Age: 21 Height: 5 ft 5 inches Weight: 112lbs Symptoms in chronological order: 1. Extreme fatigue for days. 2. Unbearable pressure in the head, including behind the eyes(along with pain) and in the ears(my head felt like it was going to explode). 3.Neck stiffness(complete inabilit...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello! Welcome to icliniq! I read carefully your question and reviewed your test reports and would explain that your blood lab tests are unremarkable, besides for low white blood count, which seems to be related to a viral infection in February. Regarding your complaints, I would exclude ...  Read Full »

Is treatment necessary for Lyme disease?

Query: Hi doctor, One laboratory report says that I am positive for Lyme disease and another lab report says it is negative. Both used serum and western blot. I was in tick borne Lyme areas overseas but do not recall a bite specifically. I have positive ANA test (speckled pattern 1:80), anti ds-DNA 8 iU/...  Read Full »

Dr. Durgesh Srivastava

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ANA (antinuclear antibody) report is not much significant. Lyme disease test IgG positivity reflects its chronic presence. Many of your neurological symptoms could be attributed to it. However, few symptoms need further evaluation by a rheumatologist, because the p...  Read Full »

What can cause very sore joints and muscles?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been sick for the last two years with the following symptoms. Fatigue, ringing in ears, very sore joints, sore muscles, follicular carcinoma, passing out, and extreme headaches. I am taking Synthroid currently. I just had a flow cytometry and numerous bouts of blood work. I have a...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on test results, my opinion is, it could be chronic Lyme disease. Low CD57 with additional symptoms provided except follicular carcinoma, could be due to chronic Lyme disease. Chronic Lyme disease is associated with a decrease in the CD57 lymphocyte subset that m...  Read Full »

Are my joint pain, depression, and Lyme disease related?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I visited my primary doctor's office, but he was on vacation. I was seen by a nurse practitioner. My main complaint is leg swelling, joint pain, and stomach aches. She asked me to do a series of lab tests and to return a week and a half later. When I went back, she told me that...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I assure you not to worry at all as things may get settled with proper care and follow-up.  Read Full »

Can Lyme disease cause any change in the ECG report?

Query: Hi doctor, Can you please review my ECG? I am on long-term Azithromycin and Minocycline for Lyme disease.  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your ECG result (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I can see evidence of a second degree AV block (atrioventricular block), which is a common finding amongst patients with Lyme's disease. Since you have already been placed on a...  Read Full »

Epstein-Barr IgM is positive, but undetectable in PCR. Still, I am sick, could it be chronic fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had reactivated Epstein-Barr for a year. I recently got a blood test, which said, faint monoclonal band detected in the gamma region, repeat blood test in six months. There is no immunoparesis, and my levels have risen in the last four months, but still in the normal range. What d...  Read Full »

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns. The brief history you have described suggest a possibility of past infection with EBV (Ebstein-Barr virus). Probably you had an episode of IMN( infectious mononucleosis) in the childhood, which is quit...  Read Full »

What is a jerky septum? Is it normal to have it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pain in the left shoulder blade as well as in the chest. After taking medicines, the left chest pain is gone but, the left shoulder blade pain has increased a lot. My ECG is normal. My echo is normal as well but, shows a jerky septum. The doctor told me that a jerky septum is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All your reports are normal. It is uncommon for a young person in your age group, to experience a chest pain due to a heart-related disease. You should know that many other diseases like...  Read Full »

Does Hodgkin's lymphoma cause elevated CD3 and CD57 NK cells?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently tested positive for Lyme disease. I have a history of stage IIA lymphoma, 15 years ago, and I am in full remission ever since. My reports, that I have attached, show elevated CD3 and CD57 NK cells. The lab recommended that an oncologist looks at this for a possible Hodgkin'...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lyme disease is usually associated with decreased CD57, especially in the chronic form. But, the lab findings reveal a high CD57. It also reveals high CD3 levels. Both high CD57 and CD3 levels...  Read Full »