Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Will my husband's heredomacular degeneration affect my children?

Answered by
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

Hello doctor,

My husband is suffering from heredomacular degeneration. And I am pregnant and have one daughter. Will this problem also affect my unborn and daughter? Kindly suggest me. Someone told me it is a genetic disease.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to

Heredomacular degeneration refers to a broad collection of diseases which affect vision by causing problems in the macular region of the retina. Some of these diseases are known to have a hereditary predisposition.

The pattern of the precise inheritance can be known if you can provide details of the eye examination and the exact diagnosis made.

Coming to the question of your daughters, I am afraid they too are at risk.

The best way to deal with the situation is to have regular visits to your ophthalmologist, preferably a retina specialist with a decent setup of retinal diagnostic equipment.

Home monitoring: The best time to do this would be while they are watching TV or doing some work requiring visual attention, attention is required if they may object to closing one eye/ go very close to the TV/ hold books or mobiles very close to their eyes. Children need at least one ophthalmologist visit a year to screen for and pick up problems at the earliest. The earlier the problem gets detected the better is the position we will be in to prevent irreversible problems.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What causes sudden white haziness?
Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?
I was diagnosed with hard macular drusen. Can this turn into something serious?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Do I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results?

Query: Hello doctor, I am hoping someone can tell me if I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results below? My father has it and found out the hard way after surgery. His sister also has it. The results from my blood test were: Cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range:...  Read Full »

From the reports, can you tell me if I have ARMD or CSR?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. 15 days ago, my left eye vision started getting distorted. I have no pain, and I never had any eye problem nor did anyone in my family. I went to the doctor, and the doctor did not give me any diagnosis so far. After a few scans, first one was taken 10 days ago and t...  Read Full »

Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatm...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.