Hereditary Diseases

Is polydactyly hereditary?

Query: Hello doctor,My 55 years old father has six fingers in the right hand. He has an extra finger near the thumb. My sister and I have five fingers on each hand. What are the chances that my sister's child will have six fingers in a hand? Will they have any other abnormality? Could there be any other po...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Polydactyly (extra finger), is usually autosomal dominant but it could be autosomal recessive in some cases. Normally, half of the progeny from the affected parent has polydactyly. But in your case, since both the son and daughter did not have an ex...  Read Full »

Which disease can cause a child to suddenly lose the ability to walk?

Query: Dear doctor, My father-in-law had a son. He grew up like a normal child till the age of around 10 to 12 years. Suddenly, he was diseased and he was not able to walk properly and after some days, he completely lost power in both the legs and permanently lost his ability to walk. Could you tell me wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Kishore

Paediatrician, Paediatric Surgeon, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely that he could be suffering from one of the types of muscular dystrophy. It is most of the time, X-chromosome linked. Usually, the male children get affected and the females are carriers. For further queries, post a detailed history and ask a doctor online...  Read Full »

How to increase head size?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl, and I am 5.7 feet tall. My head circumference is 53 cm and only 6 inches long. As you probably understand from those facts that my head is extremely small. Compared to my body my head looks tiny. It also looks small when compared to other girls who are my age...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have few questions for you as follows. At what age did you start getting your period? Have you ever had any hormonal evaluation? Do anyone in your family (mother, sister, or aunts) have a similar problem? Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --&g...  Read Full »

Can vitiligo be passed on to children and grandchildren?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a doubt regarding vitiligo condition. My father-in-law has vitiligo and he is 60 years old now. He has 2 sons and 1 daughter. Daughter is married and having two kids. None of the above have this condition. Is there any chance of getting vitiligo to his sons or to his grandchildre...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are concerned. There is a definitive genetic component in vitiligo and if someone is affected by it, he is more likely to transmit it to his kids than a person who does not have it. There are 4 to 5 times more chances of getting vitiligo than ge...  Read Full »

Is stammering a genetic problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in love with a girl, and we got permission from both the family for our marriage. But, my parents are in some hesitation as my girlfriend's mother is stammering. My parents think that if we both get marriage and our child also could get this stammering problem. I want to know whet...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stammering has got a multiple etiology and pathogenesis. A hereditary component in this has been extensively studied. A recent study was done including 12 children, and 5 generations of the family were investigated. The hereditary component is not the only thing that is i...  Read Full »

Do I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results?

Query: Hello doctor, I am hoping someone can tell me if I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results below? My father has it and found out the hard way after surgery. His sister also has it. The results from my blood test were: Cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range:...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may have atypical pseudocholinesterase deficiency due to a heterozygous mutation which is hereditary. Pseudocholinesterase is an enzyme responsible for the metabolism of certain anesthetic drugs like succinylcholine and ester group of local anesthetics. Your Dib...  Read Full »

Is heredomacular degeneration a genetic disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from heredomacular degeneration. And I am pregnant and have one daughter. Will this problem also affect my unborn and daughter? Kindly suggest me. Someone told me it is a genetic disease.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Heredomacular degeneration refers to a broad collection of diseases which affect vision by causing problems in the macular region of the retina. Some of these diseases are known to have a hereditary predisposition. The pattern of the precise inheritance can be known...  Read Full »

Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatm...  Read Full »

Dr. Shreemit Maheshwari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would refrain from using the term mad as we do not consider anybody mad. Psychiatric conditions are just like any other medical illness with proper treatment of each condition. It is common for family members of psychiatric patients to also have a psychiatric illne...  Read Full »

I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?

Query: Hi doctor, I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages. I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy. Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any ...  Read Full »

Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old girl and I am starting to notice little moles all over my body. Nothing unusual or worrisome. My mother and grandmother are also covered in moles so I guess I should have expected it. My question is, is there a way that I can prevent them from coming in or at least s...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These are not moles. These are called dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN). It a genetic condition, runs in families. These have to be removed individually. Options are: Radiofrequency caut...  Read Full »