Macular Degeneration

Why do I have sudden blurry vision in the left eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44 year old female. Two weeks ago, I suddenly developed a blurry vision in the left eye. I have no pain and I never had any eye problems. I do not have anyone in the family who had this. I see no black or gray spots. I still see all the colors, but distorted. I went to the doct...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Firstly, I would like to know the refractive error of your left eye and secondly, I request you to attach an image of the angiography of the last frame taken at five minutes. After seeing th...  Read Full »

Can Triamcinolone cause macular edema?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years, male. Before 10 months, I was diagnosed with acute posterior uveitis- Chorioretinitis with macular edema in my right eye. I received an intraocular injection with a corticosteroid and was treated with Clindamycin for two weeks, without having any evidence of actual cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your condition and wish you quick recovery. Triamcinolone periocular injections are used in extreme situations and should be under the coverage of antibiotics, which usually are at least two groups, at the time of the injection and should be done ...  Read Full »

Are loss of sharp clarity and blurred vision the symptoms of macular degeneration?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old female. I have been experiencing unusual vision problems. I have lost sharp clarity, and I had an OCT which showed thinning of ganglion cells in my maculas. Other clinical results looked normal. But I am scared that I have damaged my eyes because it seems things are...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these symptoms, but hopefully, we can get them resolved or attended to. Unfortunately, I cannot assess the OCT because you only attached the doctor's conclusion (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and not the ...  Read Full »

Why is there a white haze sometimes?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes, when I am doing stuff, my vision makes it seem like there is a white haze, like heaven, I guess. Like everything has a white haze light. It is pure not like fog or a dirty color. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes, other times a few seconds. Sometimes I see it, other times we...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a number of causes which could lead to such a problem. In the eyes, macular degeneration can cause problems like a distortion of images, also called metamorphopsia and a drop in vision. Retinal detachment can cause flashes of light which come and go in an i...  Read Full »

What is macular degeneration?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 68 years old. I have just been diagnosed with macular degeneration. The doctor basically stated that there was nothing that could be done as this was just a part of aging. He did suggest to eat more green leafy vegetables. When I suggested Kale and dark leaf vegetable powder, he la...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you stated that you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration that is ARMD (age-related macular degeneration). Now, let us know what ARMD is. Macula is most sensitive part of retina (back portion of eye) and it must be healthy to have clear vision. But, due to many...  Read Full »

Is heredomacular degeneration a genetic disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from heredomacular degeneration. And I am pregnant and have one daughter. Will this problem also affect my unborn and daughter? Kindly suggest me. Someone told me it is a genetic disease.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Heredomacular degeneration refers to a broad collection of diseases which affect vision by causing problems in the macular region of the retina. Some of these diseases are known to have a hereditary predisposition. The pattern of the precise inheritance can be known...  Read Full »

What can be done for epiretinal membrane in the eye?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a patient of macular degeneration since last four years. She was being given eye injections by the ophthalmologist in the left eye eight times and six times in the right eye, but the new doctor stopped giving her injections in the left eye for the past six months, now the...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you ask your doctor the reason for stopping injection? It must be because the lesion has minimal or no fluid or not showing up any sign of improvement even with injections or healing must have already occurred. In such case giving the injection is a personal choi...  Read Full »

I am told surgery will not help my macular hole. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Best's disease and am currently undergoing injections in my left eye and it is improving. I have now been told that my right eye has a full blown macular hole but surgery may not help. Why not?  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two surgical outcomes of a macular hole surgery. Anatomical correction, that is, whether the gap (hole) that has formed will be filled again or not. Usually, it has 90 percent chances in a macular hole surgery. Functional correction, that is, how many fun...  Read Full »

What is hereditary macular degeneration?

Query: Hello doctor, What is HMD (hereditary macular degeneration) and what is the maximum possible impact of this disease in future on a person? Can this disease make one blind?  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HMD (hereditary macular degeneration) is a broad term given to a group of diseases that mainly affect the retina by deposition of some kind of material in between the retinal layers. These are genetic diseases. Though I have not seen anybody going completely blind ...  Read Full »

From the reports, can you tell me if I have ARMD or CSR?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. 15 days ago, my left eye vision started getting distorted. I have no pain, and I never had any eye problem nor did anyone in my family. I went to the doctor, and the doctor did not give me any diagnosis so far. After a few scans, first one was taken 10 days ago and t...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very difficult to comment without examining your retina or your scans. As you mentioned there was blood at the fovea, this is suggestive of wet ARMD (age-related macular degeneration) rather than CSR (central serous retinopathy). Moreover, injection is advised f...  Read Full »