Q. My daughter behaves very differently and does not like to discuss her problem. Please help.

Dr. Anuj Khandelwal

My daughter is 17 years old. I do not know whether she is mentally sick or not. But I observe the following characteristics for the past two years.

She is getting her menstruation twice a month. Her mood is turbulent, she will laugh but get angry shortly. She cannot sit in one place even in school. The teacher used to take class but she sit in different places. She cannot pass from her grade 6 to the next grade for the past three years and will not give attention to learning. She has not done her homework or any assignments on her own. She is naughty in the classroom.

She cannot sit in one place at home also and she will go anywhere without informing the parents and come after two days. We parents do not know her address. She is highly interested in sittting with street boys and sleeps with them. She always does what she feels as right and lie too much. She is careless about her life and I guess she loves sex.

She is not afraid to go somewhere in the midnight and live with street boys. When parents ask her about the problem she is not willing to talk with them. Sometimes she helps the family by doing some work. Please advise.

#

Some of your symptoms suggest hyperactivity, inattention, oppositional and defiant behavior, hypersexual, and high risk behaviors. Along with this, there are some menstrual problems.

Genetics along with environmental factors are responsible for such behaviors and problems. Adverse childhood experiences along with parenting troubles and clash between parents can cause such personality traits.
Also I suspect some hormonal imbalance and thyroid problems which needs evaluation.

CBC (complete blood count). Complete thyroid profile. FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), LH (luteinizing hormone), serum testosterone levels. Serum copper levels,and MRI brain.

Borderline personality disorder. Nymphomania
ADHD (attention defecit hyperactivity disease) with conduct problems. Mental and behavioral disturbances in a case of hyperthyroidism.

Borderline personality disorder.

Tablet Axepta (Atomoxetine Hydrochloride) 18 mg 1-0-1, Risdone (Risperidone) 1 mg 0-0-1
for 10 days. REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy) and DBT (dialectical behavior therapy) counseling sessions.

Avoid any substance abuse if any. Avoid getting into any confrontation for now.

After 10 days.

| 

I have extreme and unstable emotions. What is wrong with me?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female, 5 feet and 8 inches, 285 lbs; currently taking Seroquel 100 mg at night and Adderall 30 mg on days I have to work. I have a history of depression, anxiety, self-harm, drug abuse, obsessive thoughts, and chronic fatigue. I have gained 40 lb weight in the past ...  Read Full »

How to stop self-harming behavior?

Query: Hi doctor, I struggle to focus and I cannot concentrate on my studies. I just think about other things, not always bad things, but sometimes I think about throwing myself out the window. When I am asked a question or if there are some people around, I used to get panic and struggle to answer. My vo...  Read Full »

I am harming myself frequently. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had the following problems for quite a few years. I was all right at first, but lately, it has been getting worse. Moderate to severe depression almost all the time such that feeling happy is an escape and a treat. I harm myself when feelings go out of control. I hit or bang my ...  Read Full »