Q. I am harming myself frequently. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

Hello doctor,

I have had the following problems for quite a few years. I was all right at first, but lately, it has been getting worse. Moderate to severe depression almost all the time such that feeling happy is an escape and a treat. I harm myself when feelings go out of control. I hit or bang my head, and other parts of my body and I swear at myself. Lately, the frequency of such incident is increasing. Other people only know me as silent or very quiet, though occasionally I turn talkative. I am extremely scared of human relationships. I suffer from addiction to porn and binge eating. I feel extreme tiredness. I generally despise and have a morbid fear of romantic relationships and though I feel jealous of people who do. I try to avoid any such happenings in my life. I almost always try to be perfect in what I do and get depressed when I cannot. Sometimes, I talk to myself like I am two people, one cursing or talking soothingly and the other receiving it. I took an online personality test today, and it tells me I may have borderline personality disorder. Can you please tell me what am I suffering from?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • You seem to be suffering from depressive symptoms. The episodes of self-harming behavior may be the consequence of your low frustration tolerance.
  • You tend to avoid intimate relationships because you have a low self-esteem.
  • All these boil down to an underlying depressive pathology, which has triggered a maladaptive behavior in you.
  • Each one has their own ways of coping up with frustration. Try to focus on your career at present. Engage yourself in a new hobby, which will divert your mind. Give importance to physical fitness.
  • Also, I suggest tablet Zosert (Sertraline) 50 mg twice daily along with tablet Clonotril (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg at night for a period of two weeks. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Do I need a drug other than Clonazepam to control non-stop panic attacks?

.. understand your concern. Anxiety and panic disorders are serious disorders and tend to recur. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and have good efficacy in controlling the symptoms of anxiety. The drug can control panic symptoms effectively but is...   Read full

Mirap and Clonazepam prescribed for anxiety and depression, Is it fine to take?

Age 40Y, Male, minor knee pain sometime ,TAK Tak Sound when sit on kness, no injury , Family Heridatory , suggest precaution in diet or medicine for future   Read full

I am harming myself frequently. Why?

Age 40Y, Male, minor knee pain sometime ,TAK Tak Sound when sit on kness, no injury , Family Heridatory , suggest precaution in diet or medicine for future   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.