Melanocyte

Can nevus recur?

Query: Hi doctor, About a year ago, I had nevus excision. Neither shaving nor laser, it was total excision. But two days ago I have realized that the nevus has come back there along the edges of the scar, the same shape of the scar. The biopsy report of the first one is compound nevus and there is nothing...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your complaint and gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Any nevus is a collection of melanocytes that are able to multiply violently. Hence, even if a small section is left it can potentially regrow. You can go for elli...  Read Full »

I got a shave biopsy for melanoma in situ. Did the cancer cells get into my bloodstream?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the biopsy that I had done. It was a shave biopsy, and it came back as melanoma in situ. I got a wide excision done, and it looks like there is still some of this mole left that was missed by the shave. If there was still melanoma cells in this left over part of...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and concern. Melanoma is a malignancy of pigment-producing cells (melanocytes), located predominantly in the skin. The careful examination of lymph nodes can be determined by the staging of melanoma and the metastasis, that is, spread to other body...  Read Full »

My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her finger nail. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her nail on the middle finger only. It has been there for three months now. There is no known trauma.Could I ask what you suggest we should do? It seems to be darker than before. We went to a dermatologist and they told us not to worry becaus...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At present, she is suffering from longitudinal melanonychia. It is due to the overactivity of the melanocytes, leading to more melanin synthesis. At present, there is no sign of malignancy. Nevertheless, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis. Hope it helps. Re...  Read Full »

Please suggest some treatment for vitiligo.

Query: Hello doctor, I have vitiligo on my face, and my skin and hair are turning white. This is a major problem for me. Please suggest some treatment. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For vitiligo, there are many lines of management. If the patch is unstable, then oral medications can be advised. But if the vitiligo patch is stable, that is no change in the size of the patch over six months, then surgery can be done to re-pigment the viti...  Read Full »