Q. I got a shave biopsy for melanoma in situ. Did the cancer cells get into my bloodstream?

Published on Jun 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a question about the biopsy that I had done. It was a shave biopsy, and it came back as melanoma in situ. I got a wide excision done, and it looks like there is still some of this mole left that was missed by the shave. If there was still melanoma cells in this left over part of the mole, is there any way it somehow got into my bloodstream, especially right after the biopsy was performed and it was initially bleeding? I am very worried and nervous that the previously contained melanoma is now traveling throughout my body.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your query and concern.

• Melanoma is a malignancy of pigment-producing cells (melanocytes), located predominantly in the skin.
  • Sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) is generally indicated for pathologic staging of the regional nodal involvement. Baseline laboratory studies, for example, lactate dehydrogenase level, liver function tests, chemistry panel, CBC (complete blood count), chest radiography, and other imaging studies can determine the metastasis.
  • With excision biopsy, the spill of melanoma cells to systems are very rare. In your case, there is nothing to worry if there are no sign and symptoms of metastasis.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Do you feel that the enhancement of a rib on MRI is due to metastasis?

Query: Hi, I had a routine MRI for the history of treated breast cancer, and that showed enhancement on a rib. What would cause this? I had rib pain following a bad cough and cold.  Read Full »

Can you suggest some home remedies for face tan?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a very bad tan on my sun affecting regions over my body. I have been experiencing this since I got my chickenpox before six years. My skin has started to get darker every day since then. I have consulted a dermatologist and he suggested me to apply ointments li...  Read Full »

I have an infection on my penis that is not healing. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old unmarried male. I have a patch on the inner part of the skin that covers the penis. I consulted a doctor. He asked me to take Cefix 200 twice daily, Atazis 1/2 morning and 1 in the evening for five days and MF Sudif ointment. He then asked me to continue these for ...  Read Full »