Q. I am having small black spots on my toenail. Does it indicate melanoma?

Dr. Payal Chauhan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2019

I am 21 years old. Today I noticed a small black spot on my toenail, I did a little research and found out that it might be a melanoma cancer, but also it could be a fungus infection. After a bit more research, I noticed that an unusual cystic pimple between my chest that I have had for two months now might also sign of melanoma. I spend little to no time in the sun. Do I have melanoma?

The black spot on my toenail might be because of the tight shoes I have been wearing lately, my toe also hurts a little bit from those shoes. The red pimple between my chest appeared five to six month ago, then disappeared and reappeared multiple times, I squeezed it, and blood and fluid came out of it.

#

I understand your concern. The thing on the chest looks more of a sebaceous cyst, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which comes and goes even if you pop out the contents as it needs to be excised completely to prevent the recurrence. For the toenail spot, I am not sure that it is melanoma, it can be other things like a subungual traumatic hematoma, or pseudomonas nail infection. Nonetheless, you need to keep observing it for any color or size changes.

The two conditions you mentioned do not seem to be related, though. Use the following medication for two weeks, and if it is because of infection it will improve

1. Tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for two weeks. And avoid tight footwear.

|