Q. What are the chances of a nevus being melanoma?

Dr. Rabia Anjum

I have some questions regarding what the dermatologist told me yesterday, when I was visited with dermoscopy to check my nevi. I asked the dermatologist to focus on an atypical blue nevus (on my right arm) which has increased in size during the last nine years. He told me that the nevus pigmentation does not allow the dermoscopy to provide a conclusive diagnosis of melanoma. He adviced me to remove the mole but with no priority Now, I have some questions.

1. The fact that I have no priority means that there is a low probability that my nevus is a melanoma? Or it is due to the limitation of the instrument?

2. Would the dermoscopy have allowed to classify my nevus as a melanoma, if the nevus effectively was a metastatic melanoma? I do not know what to think.

#

Dermoscope is of different types. Some are more good than others. Using this instrument requires a lot of practice and experience. Sometimes the person performing it cannot appreciate all the features of a particular disease. In your case, the conversion of blue nevus to melanoma is very rare. On the safe side, the doctor advised you to remove it so that no confusion left. If he or she has picked up melanoma, they would immediately treat it. You should go for excision of your nevus and histopathology will reveal the exact tissue diagnosis.

|