Q. Does side effect of the anxiety drug diminishes the memory?

Answered by Dr. Suresh Kumar G D and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Memory Problems or Side Effect Of Antidepressants? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 42-year-old male. When I was 15 years old, I started to suffer from depression and had to undergo psychiatric treatment. I was prescribed Trazonil for a sleep disorder and Flunil for depression and anxiety. I was under this medication for nearly seven years. In the meanwhile, I got hooked to alcohol and smoking before 20 years.

I took an overdose and consumed almost 90 tablets of Trazonil in an attempt to end my life. However I survived, but I have felt that it really damaged my brain especially my memory and till today I remember most of the things which took place prior to this incident as well as things I learned, but in my daily life after that I became very forgetful and had trouble remembering things, events or new things which I try to learn.

So my question is that is there any way which I can reverse this ill effect or lessen to a high degree so that I can remember things better or have a better memory. I have been drinking for the past 20 years, and since last three years after moving to another place my frequency and dosage of alcohol has increased, and I know it also plays a significant role in diminishing memory. I quit taking medicines almost 14 years back.