Q. I am having memory and coordination problems from the past 17 years. What to do?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I am a 40 year old female, who weighs 146 lbs, and I am 5.5 feet tall. I am having memory problems from the past 17 years. I was told by my doctor that I had low blood pressure. After taking iron tablets, my blood pressure came back to normal, but I realized that during and after the treatment for low blood pressure, I started experiencing memory problems. I would be talking to someone and totally forget what I was talking about, and it was as if I could not continue the conversation. I remember it affected my work so much, for example, I would tell my manager that I have completed a task, but when I recheck, the task was not done. I was worried. I even when to a spa and found it difficult to lie down without moving. It seemed as if my coordination was not intact because I could not follow an exercise video properly. My grades were good in school. But in college, I could only study one day before the exams, if I do it earlier, then I will not remember anything that I studied. Going to the college was a joke, I just could not remember what was said during the class. I am not on any medication for it. Please note that I am always on antibiotics for a vaginal infection. Thanks.

#

• The doctor might have treated your anemia with iron tablets, not your blood pressure.
  • Some people develop early onset forgetfulness, in medical terminology dementia, more so if you have a family history of Alzheimer's disease.
  • However, there are other neurological conditions which can also cause early onset dementia. As you also mentioned that you have a problem with coordination as well, it warrants complete neurological examination, which your neurologist can do.
  • I suggest you get an MRI of the brain done, which can be diagnostic in most cases. However consult your neurologist as soon as possible.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|