Q. I am having memory and coordination problems from the past 17 years. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Nagaraj
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 40 year old female, who weighs 146 lbs, and I am 5.5 feet tall. I am having memory problems from the past 17 years. I was told by my doctor that I had low blood pressure. After taking iron tablets, my blood pressure came back to normal, but I realized that during and after the treatment for low blood pressure, I started experiencing memory problems. I would be talking to someone and totally forget what I was talking about, and it was as if I could not continue the conversation. I remember it affected my work so much, for example, I would tell my manager that I have completed a task, but when I recheck, the task was not done. I was worried. I even when to a spa and found it difficult to lie down without moving. It seemed as if my coordination was not intact because I could not follow an exercise video properly. My grades were good in school. But in college, I could only study one day before the exams, if I do it earlier, then I will not remember anything that I studied. Going to the college was a joke, I just could not remember what was said during the class. I am not on any medication for it. Please note that I am always on antibiotics for a vaginal infection. Thanks.



Welcome to

  • The doctor might have treated your anemia with iron tablets, not your blood pressure.
  • Some people develop early onset forgetfulness, in medical terminology dementia, more so if you have a family history of Alzheimer's disease.
  • However, there are other neurological conditions which can also cause early onset dementia. As you also mentioned that you have a problem with coordination as well, it warrants complete neurological examination, which your neurologist can do.
  • I suggest you get an MRI of the brain done, which can be diagnostic in most cases. However consult your neurologist as soon as possible.

For more information consult a neurologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My dad has age-related diffuse cerebral atrophy. Will he forget everything, even me?

.. concern, I would explain that your father's symptoms and MRI findings are indicative of dementia or Alzheimer's disease. This is a progressive disorder with progressive memory problems. Unfortunately, there is no cure, but there are some drugs wh...   Read full

What could be the reason for clumsy mind and poor eye muscle coordination?

.. only answer in broad terms as there so many things that could lead to the symptoms you are describing. Then I can put you in the direction medically you should follow going forward. 1) The fact that you note you have always been a clumsy person a...   Read full

How to correct hypermetropia?

.. is to get cycloplegic refraction done and use glasses as per prescription given after cycloplegic refraction.  Ask your doctor to check your convergence as you might have convergence weakness. If there is convergence weakness then start converge...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.