Q. Can meningioma be cured?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed with a 5 x 5 x 3 mm meningioma in the superior frontal gyrus towards the cranial vertex. I would like to know if this will kill me or shorten my life. I also want information about anything regarding this, for example, recurrence, regrowth, etc.

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgery Neuro Surgery Spine Surgery
#

• You need not worry about meningioma. It is a benign and slow growing tumor. The present size is also very small. You only need to follow it up with serial scans every year. If it increases in size or causes symptoms, then only treatment is required for that.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

Can meningioma be cured? Can you tell me what type of meningioma I have, based on the location? What are the chances of regrowth or recurrence of meningioma because of my young age?

Dr. Chirag Solanki

#

• Meningioma is definitely a curable tumor, provided it is completely removable. Although it is not possible to exactly predict the grade of the tumor, I think this is most likely grade 1. There are three grades of meningioma. Grade 3 is malignant.
  • Post surgery, grade 2 or 3 meningiomas require radiotherapy in most cases. Except for grade 3 meningioma, recurrence after complete removal is very low around less than 4 %.
  • But I wonder why you are worrying so much. Your meningioma is very small and does not require treatment. It is required only if it increases in size or causes symptoms. So do not worry, and be happy and just follow it up with MRI yearly.

Thanks.

| 

I am concerned because, as I am only 35 years old, I am at higher risk of recurrence and regrowth. Can people live 30 to 40 years after diagnosis even with an inoperable meningioma?

Dr. Chirag Solanki

#

• The first thing is, you have been diagnosed with meningioma, which was diagnosed incidentally. That does not necessarily mean that it will increase in size. The other thing is, it is benign and slow growing tumor if, at all it grows in size at the rate of 2 to 4 mm a year, it is very much treatable.
  • Theoretically, in females, it is sometimes found to increase in size during pregnancy due to hormonal effects. And in general, meningioma is common in females.
  • The recurrence and regrowth matter only if it was operated. Which is not the case in your problem. There are extremely rare instances where meningioma is not operable.
  • People can live years together even in recurrences, as they can be re-operated if it recurs. One thing you should keep in mind is meningioma is one of the most treatable tumors of the brain.

Hope it resolves your query and reduces your anxiety. Thank you.

For further queries consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|