Q. How can we treat meningioma tumor?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My grandmother is affected with meningioma tumor. Please advise what has to be done.

#

I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The meningioma is a benign tumor, which grows slowly. But, the meningioma present in your grandmother is in the advanced stage, causing compression of the adjacent brain structures. For this reason, I would recommend surgery as soon as possible in order to prevent her from death or cardiac arrest. You should discuss with a neurosurgeon about this problem.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Please answer my following doubts about my grandmother's case.

1. On considering her age, you are suggesting for a surgery?
  2. What type of surgery is required for her?
  3. Will she survive after surgery?
  4. What happens if the surgery goes wrong?
  5. What happens if we are not opting for surgery due to her last days?
#

Surgery has a lot of risk considering her age. If it does not go well, she may die. But, you cannot wait in this situation, because the tumor is surrounded by a lot of swelling and it is compressing the brain (the shift of the median structures). If you are not deciding for surgery she may die soon from cardiac arrest (related to the brainstem compression). So, she is going to die soon if you avoid surgery. With surgery, she may have 50 % chances to survive, depending upon her comorbidities. There are no other treatment options at this point because steroids and Mannitol do not make miracles at this stage.

|