HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologymenstrual irregularityI have been experiencing irregular periods with continuous bleeding for the past three weeks. What could be the reasons?

What are the ways to treat irregular periods in obese people?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 6, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 8, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been having periods for about 20 days and am currently 191.8 lbs for my height of 5 feet 3 inches. I have psoriasis and use a Silverline Cu200 Ag intrauterine device. The periods began around 16 days ago and have not stopped, nor has the flow changed. My daily life has been difficult.

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sangeeta Milap

The ongoing bleeding may be triggered by abnormal uterine bleeding or due to an infection brought on by an outdated intrauterine device. I hope you have not taken any tablets like I-pill. Are you married, do you have any vaginal discharge, and do you have a thyroid issue? When was the uterine device placed? I suggest you take the following medication-

Tablet Cefi 200g (cephalosporin) antibiotic tablet twice a day. Until the bleeding stops, take two tablets of Etosys MF (Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid ) daily.

Please let me know when your most recent menstrual cycle was.

Thank you

Patient's Query

Hello doctor.

I have not taken any I-pill, and I am not currently experiencing any thyroid or vaginal discharge issues. Approximately two years ago, the intrauterine device was placed. The latest menstrual cycle began around 16 days ago and is still going strong.

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sangeeta Milap

Are you married, even though you should have an intrauterine device in place, I hope you checked for pregnancy. Did you miss any dates before last month? Please have a CBC (complete blood count), thyroid function tests, beta HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), serum prolactin, serum testosterone, serum FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), and lh (inguinal hernia), and an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis and report back. I would like you to be evaluated by a gynecologist for bleeding.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sangeeta Milap
Dr. Sangeeta Milap

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy