Microcytosis

What is your suggestion for my stomach pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old female. I am suffering from stomach pain. My ultrasound scan was reported as normal. The CT scan report is normal with an impression as minimal free fluid in the pelvis. Our physician told that I have some infection in the intestine and was advised to take antibiotic an...  Read Full »

Dr. Tim Evans

Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before proceeding any further, a few things I would need to know. How long have your symptoms been present for? Why did you have your uterus and ovaries removed? Was it for cancer or not? The first thing I note is that (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with...  Read Full »

What does 'hypochromic and microcytic RBC' mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 50-year-old female. My reports read 'RBC are hypochromic and microcytic with few ovalocytes seen. WBC and platelets appear quantitatively adequate in the film. No early cells are seen.' No cholesterol, normal blood pressure, not diabetic, a fibroid but gy...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The presence of microcytic hypochromic red cells is indicative of iron deficiency anemia. Apart from this finding, the other findings are normal. There is no finding of leukemic cells. I have outlined the treatment plan for you. Iron and Folic acid tablets thrice d...  Read Full »

My baby's WBC count is high two months after an infection. Is it cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My son turned one two months ago. He was last sick two months ago for about a week. He had some standard vaccinations and a routine CBC to check for lead level and anemia. The CBC came back with high WBC and high platelets. His pediatrician was not concerned and said it could be from a re...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to see that you are aware of your child's health. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me give you my opinion. Do not directly conclude it as a malignancy, especially leukemia. In the peripheral smear, no blast cells...  Read Full »

My CBC shows an iron deficiency. I am really nervous. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had an iron deficiency in the past. So, my doctor ordered a CBC. My CBC came and it really worried me.The reports showed that I also had low B12 and Vitamin D. I have attached those reports. I lose a lot of blood during menstruation. I am really nervous until my next CBC. Right no...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have an iron deficiency anemia as microcytic hypochromic blood picture. For 7.6 hemoglobin level, you can start iron tablets. It has to be taken without interruption for at least thre...  Read Full »

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full »