Q. What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can I improve?

#

Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased.

• Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out.
  • Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, etc., can lead to a feeling of fatigue.
  • Check your serum sodium, potassium levels to rule out an electrolyte disturbance.
  • Investigate with serum TSH, T4 estimation to rule out hypothyroidism.
  • Check liver and kidney profile by serum SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase), SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase), urea, and creatinine.
  • If you cannot identify the cause then, an NCV (nerve conduction velocity) and EMG (electromyography) can be done for further work up.
  • Consult a physician for examination and discuss your case.

Hope this helps you. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|