Q. My CBC shows an iron deficiency. I am really nervous. Please help.

and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2022

I had an iron deficiency in the past. So, my doctor ordered a CBC. My CBC came, and it really worried me. The reports showed that I also had low B12 and Vitamin D. I have attached those reports. I lose a lot of blood during menstruation. I am nervous until my next CBC. Right now, my physician told me to take iron supplements and Vitamin D. I had low iron in the past, and it improved with iron supplementation. Is there anything seriously wrong with the results below? I will feel better if you answer me. I am taking the tablet Thyrax for thyroid problems.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have an iron deficiency anemia as microcytic hypochromic blood picture. For 7.6 hemoglobin level, I would suggest iron tablets. It has to be taken without interruption for at least three months and an additional one month to replenish the store. Iron syrup would be beneficial if the tablet causes gastritis. Check your serum ferritin and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) levels to confirm iron deficiency before starting the therapy.

For low B12 level, B12 injections (cyanocobalamin) can be suggested rather than the tablet. For low vitamin D levels, cholecalciferol sachet can be suggested which is taken once a week with milk. The low hemoglobin, vitamin B12, and vitamin D should be corrected, as they can lead to an adverse problem left uncorrected. And, the cause of excess bleeding during menstruation has to be looked into by a gynecologist with a pelvic examination and per speculum examination.

Take care. Consult a physician keeping my answer in mind. Hope your concern is solved.

|