iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrymicroleakageWhy do I have pain in my tooth even after getting it filled?

What causes pain in a tooth after getting it filled?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 4, 2022
Reviewed AtJune 5, 2024

Patient's Query

I got a filling done for a sensitivity problem in a tooth. However, the pain recurred as some cavity was left out beneath the filling. So I had to get the filling done again. Currently, I have pain in the tooth when chewing on both soft and hard foods. Also, the pain lasts for a while before subsiding. What can be the cause of pain?

Kindly advise.

I understand your concern and would be happy to help. You have pain either due to galvanism or microleakage. Galvanism occurs due to metal alloy restoration in the oral cavity, with saliva acting as a medium. Microleakage occurs when the restoration and tooth edge margins do not fuse properly, which causes seepage of oral fluids into the filling, causing secondary caries.

Provisional diagnosis:

The pain can occur due to microleakage.

The other reasons for pain can be galvanism or secondary caries.

Diagnostic tests:

Tenderness on percussion is observed on clinical examination.

Treatment:

I suggest an application of dental varnish or vaseline gel over the restoration to seal the margins.

Kindly revert in case of further questions.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

default Img
Dr. Bhargav Reddy Gutha

Orthodontist

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

secondary cariesmicroleakage

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dentistry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy