Q. I had bleeding with dark brown mucus after intercourse. Is this normal bleeding?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

I had my periods 16 days ago. As soon I completed my menus ten days back, I had intercourse with my partner. Yesterday the bleeding was dark brown with mucus, and today I have been experiencing a heavy red mucus flow. Is this normal bleeding caused due to infection? Or hormonal imbalance or else any other problem? Please do give possibilities for why this is happening?

#

Thanks for reaching out.

Based on the history and symptoms you have provided, you are having midcycle spotting. It is a kind of light vaginal bleeding that happens in women who have ovulatory cycles. It usually lasts for 3 to 4 days and stops on its own. You do not need to stress about it. I am assuming you are not taking any hormonal contraceptive pills or injection, or devices. If the bleeding increases, if you change one pad every two hourly or pass clots or excess tummy pain, you need to see a doctor to do a local examination and ultrasound. Unlikely it is due to pregnancy as it has occurred midcycle; implantation bleeding in pregnancy are more towards 25 days of LMP (last menstrual period). Other less important causes could be hormonal disturbances associated with stress, a recent change in diet, environment, etc. I hope this answers your query. Feel free to reach out with any further queries.

Thanks for your reply.

We used protection too, but still worried about the thing that it is a sign of pregnancy. I am pretty sure spermatozoa have not been released into the vagina. But this bleeding makes me nervous.

#

I understand your concern. It is unlikely due to pregnancy and mostly due to midcycle ovulatory spotting. Do not worry.

|