Q. Is brown discharge during pregnancy a reason to panic about miscarriage?

Published on Sep 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2019

I am 36 years old female, who is 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I take Gestofit 300 once daily and Fertigyn 5000 twice a week. I am on complete bed rest. I get a slight amount of brown discharge occasionally. Should I panic about miscarriage? I am afraid because I had two miscarriages, one at 7 weeks and the other at 11 weeks last year. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

At 6 weeks 4 days, you can have a scan, if it is still not done, to confirm the fetal heartbeat, as the baby's heartbeat only can confirm the health of the baby and to see the decidual reaction.

Brown discharge only means that it is old blood and implantation bleeding. When the embryo bores into the decidual lining of the uterus, it causes few drops of blood to come out. This blood comes out of uterus a few days later as brown discharge. It is normal and nothing to worry.

Do not worry about the history of miscarriages, the chances of repeated miscarriages are only 3 %, which means 97 % chances of healthy pregnancy.

For your information, bed rest is not needed. No matter what history you had, the baby does not get attached to uterus mechanically, rather by chemical attachment. So, whatever you do, the baby will stay attached to the uterus. Pregnancy is not an illness, so enjoy every moment of pregnancy with good health and lots of prayers. Baby will do fine.

Medicines are fine, Gestofit (Progesterone) makes the uterus relaxed and reduces the likelihood of bleeding from the decidual layer. The best method would be to insert the capsule Gestofit 200 mg or 300 mg vaginally twice a day, as the dose reaching the uterus will be the highest with no side effects of the hormone.

Injection Fertigyn (Human chorionic gonadotropin) improves the decidual implantation of the embryo.

If you already had a scan and health of pregnancy has been confirmed, I suggest you try Proluton depot (Hydroxyprogesterone caproate) 500 mg injection, intramuscularly once in every two weeks until 12 weeks of gestation. It will not allow any further bleeding from the uterus. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with their consent.

Hope I have clarified your doubt, do write back if you have any more queries. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I co...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? From your history, the only problem I feel is the problem which could happen to the tube. Your history of having a tubal pregnancy and severe pain during sex, that is dyspareunia, means that there is some problem which is happening around the uterus ...  Read Full

What are the possible consequences of a fetus without heartbeat?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is now 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant. She started to bleed three days back and felt little cramps. We had our first early trimester scan and they said that they are unable to detect fetus heartbeat. They arranged for another scan in some 15 days. She is taking Pregnacare Folic acid....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she is 8 weeks and 5 days gestation as of today and still there has been no heartbeat or a fetal pole, then it is likely to be an anembryonic gestation or a chemical pregnancy with just the gestational sac. If the fetal pole and the heartbeat have not arrived t...  Read Full

Does miscarriage affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male and my wife is 31 years old. We got married before two years and had not planned for pregnancy. My wife's medical history is as follows. Two years before her thyroid level was near 18 and she took regular medicine. Now her thyroid level came down between 2 and 3 a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Detailed information given by yourself is very useful to give you further direction in the planning of the baby. Generally, apart from doing routine prepregnancy checks, we need to do fertility related tests, including ovulation that have egg release confirmation thr...  Read Full