Q. Why did the ultrasound scan at the eighth week show 5. 5 weeks baby with no heartbeat?

Published on Jun 01, 2017

The first ultrasound scan at six weeks showed a baby with heartbeats. But, after 15 days, it shows 5.5 weeks baby with no heartbeat. The doctor told me to take MTP pills. After taking these pills, I had heavy bleeding for six days, and from the seventh day, I started expelling black blood with lumps for three days. I did not have any symptoms of failing pregnancy. According to me, I am three months pregnant, then why did the scan show only five weeks pregnant? I am attaching all my reports.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? Am sorry for the loss you had. I have seen all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The first scan shows a six weeks baby, that is the actual size of the baby. Due to some cause, reason has to be found out, the heartbeat of the baby stopped soon after that scan. When the blood flow to the baby stops, the baby starts to shrink and will measure smaller.
  • This measurement of six weeks and 5.5 weeks is just two days difference. The measurement of the baby is in mm, may be 6 mm and 5.9 mm. There can be a difference in measurement by the same person in the scan.
  • So, MTP (medical termination of pregnancy) pill will expel the remains of the baby, with the periods like bleeding. It will be thicker, jelly-like mass, clots, and slowly the blood clots become blacker.
  • You had exactly the same course. Why are you worried about the course of bleeding? After two weeks of bleeding, just have a scan to confirm that the products of conception have completely gone.
  • Try for next pregnancy only after three months, this will remove any small cause in the body. And when you plan for a pregnancy, get the following tests done:
  1. Fasting and postprandial blood sugars.
  2. Thyroid profile.
  3. aPTT (activated partial prothrombin time).
  4. ANA (antinuclear antibody).
  5. ACA (anti-cardiolipin antibody).
  • There are a number of causes for miscarriage, these are few important and treatable causes, which can be corrected after pregnancy and the baby will not be affected.

Pray well and hope for the best in the next pregnancy. You will do well. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

There is bleeding and pain 24 hours after taking Mifepristone and Misoprostol. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend underwent a USG and she was detected with 6-week pregnancy and then she took Mifepristone and then next day four Misoprostol (mouth dissolving). Now it has been more than 24 hours. She is bleeding continuously with clots and having severe pain. Kindly suggest what to do now ...  Read Full »

Testicular ultrasound showed multiple lesions. Do I need testicular biopsy to confirm cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had an ultrasound on my testicles and found multiple solid nodules or lumps and lesions in both testicles. He strongly suspects germ cell tumors. I have had blood tests done, and tumor markers and everything else is normal. I will be seeing a urologist in about two weeks. Do I have...  Read Full »

Other than ultrasound, how can Down's syndrome be diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. Yesterday, I went for an ultrasound scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies. Other than hypoplasia of nasal bone, everything is normal. I need an expert opinion regarding advanced tests of ultrasound or amniocentesis, karyotyping or any ultrasound scan to ...  Read Full »