Q. Is plastic surgery a must following Mohs surgery?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

I am a 36 year old female. I had Mohs surgery on my temple. My hole is big and it is pretty deep. They went three rounds. My question is, is it better to heal by secondary intention or to have a plastic surgery with flap in which he would take skin from behind the wound on my head? Will it mean the hair will be placed on my temple? Would I have to shave it? So, in that case I need to deal with now two wounds. How easily and long will my wound heal naturally considering the depth? And how long do I keep a band-aid with vaseline on for if I go that route?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and history.

• The wound is quite big and it definitely require plastic surgery.
  • If you wait for healing by secondary intention, then your wound may take around four to six months for complete healing. But, it should be under good antibiotic cover and definitely it will leave a big scar mark.
  • If you go for flap surgery, then definitely it will be very good options in your case. Please consult a plastic surgeon for more details.

For further details consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Why is the area around my last tooth swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a swelling around my tooth. Also, one side of the wisdom tooth is infected. I feel pain over the area. What to do?  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »