Q. Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Answered by Dr. Pooja Pardhi and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ibs or Severe Fatigue? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she had frequent loose or watery stool (without blood) and could not eat spicy or fatty food, sugar or any foods containing lactose. I found a probiotic supplement called Bifina, which helped a lot in controlling her toilet routine and her diet but needed to use together with Smecta. She still cannot eat spicy or fatty food, but she can have a drink or juice with an acceptable amount of sugar, which serves as a rehydration drink. She no longer has loose or watery stool. Once in a while if she reacts with a kind of food or eat more sugar than necessary, her stool will be softer with a few bubbles. In general, her bowel movement is under control.She is starting to recover but her long-term IBS resulted in her exhaustion. As I previously mentioned, she is now still using the probiotic supplement, Bifina, which helps a lot with the intestine treatment makes her easily feel tired or a little dizzy. I asked for support from a relative who works as a nurse because the doctors in my neighborhood just told her to get a rest and give her pills that did not help a lot. So, the nurse frequently gives her some vitamin B12 shots, Glucose 5% intravenous infusion and lactated Ringer's solution 500 ml for injection. This proves to help, but she tells me that she do not have enough energy. We went back to phlebotomy department to have her blood tested. It turned out to be fine, but every time her scores were very low. We thought the hospital could give her any session like fluid infusion or blood transfusion because she had diarrhea for over 10 months. It just stopped about 2 months ago and really has worn her out. But, they just informed me to go to another department like division of general internal medicine. We have already been there and have checked everything like x-ray, heart, liver, and kidney. Attached below are some images of her test results. Could you tell me if we are right to say she needs blood transfusion to help her recover better? Or she needs another solution? Or just stick to what we are doing now? I express a huge thanks for being patient and reading for so long now. I appreciate every answer. Thanks again.