Q. What is this bump which I have on the place where the wisdom tooth was?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jan 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

I have a kind of bump on the side where my bottom wisdom tooth was. Also, there appears to be a little hole in the area with white stuff on it. It is behind my last bottom tooth where the wisdom tooth was removed years ago. It is sore to touch. I have attached the photo. It is not the where my finger is, but behind the back tooth.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• It seems that your upper wisdom tooth (if it is present or the last molar) has grown more downwards making direct contact with the gums leading to ulceration and soreness (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • As you removed lower wisdom tooth years ago, the upper tooth has kept growing without hindrance and is now hitting lower gums while chewing.
  • The only permanent solution is to remove upper too or you can get the another molar, which is hitting at the spot, grinded and smoothened for temporary relief.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I forgot to mention upper wisdom teeth are also gone. I do not have them.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• I understood that you are referring to the area behind your molar and can see the ulceration. As there is no upper wisdom tooth, then there are three possible reasons for it.
  • Sometimes, the upper posterior cusp of the last molar might be touching the spot, which can be seen correctly by clenching the teeth and then looking from the side.
  • If some root portion of the lower wisdom tooth might have fractured while extraction and has remained inside, which may have now surfaced after a long time. It seems now to be a more probable cause.
  • It can be just an ulcer, which formed due to injury while chewing food.
  • You might need an x-ray to confirm or just need to check the site with a sterile probe by your dentist. You can use an anesthetic gel to apply over the area to get relief.

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. As per the symptoms and image attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the extraction site is not healing as it appears empty. Yes, it looks like a dry socket, but a clinical examination is a must. You should not wait ...  Read Full

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern. If it is giving you any sort of problem or giving you discomfort, you need to remove it immediately. There are chances of cyst formation in some cases too, if the impaction is not treated. You can dela...  Read Full

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases. The other thing to consider is any pain or associated symptoms with the cavities, which are indicative of active acute infection that has already spread deeper. So, if the cavi...  Read Full