Q. I have constant twitching in my left arm. How to stop it?

Dr. Rajesh Naidu
Published on Oct 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

Recently, I have been playing quite a lot of sport. However, my left bicep seems to be going into spasm or is twitching. There is no pain, but I cannot stop it. Please help. It is only on my left arm.

Dr. Rajesh Naidu

Physiotherapy
#

I have gone through the entire history of yours and my findings and suggestions are as follows:

• Muscle twitching is a common scenario in people playing sports, especially if you do strengthening exercises. You mentioned that you play sports, but I am not sure which one you play.
  • The muscle goes into twitching in some of the below conditions such as:
  1. Physical stress (exercise).
  2. Frequent alcohol consumption.
  3. Smoking.
  4. Lack of nutrition.
  5. Dehydration.
  6. Mental stress.
  • Keep yourself hydrated throughout the sport and imbibe stretchings (pre and post sporting).
  • Apply a hot pack on the arm and then stretch your biceps.
  • Stand perpendicular to a wall and place your left-hand fingertips on the wall and slowly turn your body opposite to the direction of the wall. You will actually feel the stretch while turning slowly. But, be cautious it should be mild to moderate. Repeat it thrice as one set and this way, do three sets every day for a week. It will cure your twitching, trust me.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your question carefully and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of a peripheral neuropathy. They could be related to a bulging disc in the cervical vertebral column. That is why it is necessary to perform a cervical spine MRI study. MS (multipl...  Read Full

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing the brief history of your daughter. I am sorry firstly to hear that your daughter is being diagnosed with Erb's palsy. Well, I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy for atleast three days a week as it will be of good help for her. Usuall...  Read Full

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development. Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the str...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now