Q. I am suffering from arm pain. Does it indicate heart attack?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I am a 43-year-old. I have some not so mild pain in my right arm for the past two days. Since yesterday, I have some pain in my chest, towards the right. It pains when I cough or clear my throat. Pain is not unbearable but not mild also. Two days back, I felt a bit weak in my right arm, and it felt slightly less responsive when I tried to lift my arm.

Now it feels normal, but the pain is still there. I do not have any problem with doing regular activities. I also exercise at least every alternate day. Heart pain could be gas, yes, but I am a bit worried. Three people from my department, one junior and two seniors had heart attacks in the past four to five months, and one passed away.

I get echo and TMT tests done every year, and all is normal. I do not have BP or sugar or any other problem. But the colleagues who had attacks also had normal echo and TMT during their annual check-up before five months. So, should I go for checking whether my arteries have any clogging? Is it needed? If yes, how to get it done?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

Welcome on icliniq.com.

I passed carefully through your medical history and would like to explain that your clinical symptomatology does not seem to be cardiac-related. Pain modulated by coughing or body posture modulation goes in favor of an extra-cardiac cause, most likely a respiratory inflammation or infection. I would recommend discussing with your attending physician (GP or internist) on the possibility of performing a medical examination and additional tests (complete blood count, PCR for detecting possible inflammation, chest X-ray study and other tests if necessary).

In case you have difficulty getting out sputum, an expectorant could help. Anti-Inflammatory medication and if the bacterial infection is confirmed, antibiotics medication would be required to solve your actual health issue. I hope to have been helpful to you. In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

How often do I need a treadmill test?

Query: Hello doctor, I run about five kilometers every alternate day. I recently felt a chest heaviness and a pinching pain. So, I went in for a TMT test. I want to know the frequency at which such tests are to be done. I am attaching the results of my tests.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your health query and can understand that you are worried about your heart. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). On review of your TMT (treadmill test), I see no issues with your heart. There are no cha...  Read Full

Is my chest pain due to anxiety, angina or any other cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. No prior heart issues. A fan of exercise. At the beginning of this year, I started having chest pain located near or right over my right side. Mostly they are a short quick burst of pain at random intervals but sometimes they stick around. A couple of weeks after th...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Historically, and also on investigations like TMT (treadmill test), it does not appear to be a cardiac pain (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I guess you do not smoke or drink. The usual cause for this is musculoskeletal pain arising from muscles and ...  Read Full

What does my baby's echocardiogram report indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby's heart rate is 110 beats per minute. During examination, the echocardiogram shows S1 normal, S2 split 3/6 and continuous murmur at left infraclavicular region. What does the information indicate?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports of echocardiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The patient has a condition called patent ductus arteriosus. Usually ductus arteriosus closes at birth of a baby, but sometimes, it remains patent and does not close naturally....  Read Full