Q. Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Alcoholism or Disulfiram? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

I am contacting you regarding an uncle of mine. He is 40 years old. His health issues are related to alcohol (beer). He drinks quite a few times a week. When he starts drinking, he drinks a few liters before stopping. He also smokes, but only sometimes. He finds heavy breathing after just minor physical activity. In his medical history, he has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, anemia, anxiety disorder, severe headache and sometimes constipation. He had also ulcer earlier and was recommended Omeprazole. He found this medicine to be helpful for him in the beginning only, but not now anymore.

I know of a fact that it is best for him to quit drinking alcohol or at least reduce the amount of it. He has been advised for this several times. But, he is addicted to it and is not easy for him to quit. My question is specifically related to alcohol. Is there any medication he can take before or after intake of alcohol which can be helpful for him in kind of safe drinking? He takes Omeprazole, but is not satisfied with the results.

Related Questions:
Dr.Utpal Sheth
How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?
Dr.Zubair Mohammad

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
General Medicine, Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Alcoholism is now acknowledged as a disease that requires a combined treatment (medications, psychological and social intervention).
  • Medications to increase tolerance of the patient to alcohol as Iomazenil are not very much recommended as they tend to increase the patient's intake of alcohol as they tend to stop people from getting drunk.
  • On the other hand, there are a number of medications that decrease the patient's tolerance to alcohol leading to unpleasant side effects when taking alcohol that force the patient to stop drinking.
  • These drugs include Antabuse (Disulfiram), but the problem with that drug is that the patient might decide to stop the Antabuse instead of stopping alcohol.
  • Another drug is Naltrexone, which decrease the pleasure that alcoholics receive when drinking and also decrease the craving for alcohol. It can be taken as a daily pill or as a once a month injection.
  • Another drug is Campari, which is taken by mouth three times daily. It acts by reducing the symptoms that an alcoholic may experience when not having a drink over long periods. These symptoms may lead to relapse, but its effect is doubtful.
  • Drugs are not enough to treat alcoholism and they need to be combined with rehabilitation and social intervention. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

How can I reduce my depression?
Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »
Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are in a troubled situation. Having an empty feeling and negative thoughts occurring on an occasional basis are quite reasonable. It does happen to everyone. But having a low opinion, and feeling empty for so long, around seven months is not healthy. It indicates th...  Read Full »
Are there any tablets to control alcohol drinking?
Query: Hi doctor, My father drinks alcohol heavily every day and behaves very rashly at home. Please suggest some tablets to control alcohol drinking.  Read Full »
Dr. Ananth S
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have some questions. How old is your dad? How heavy is his drinking? How long has he been drinking? To quit alcohol, the person has to firmly decide to do it. He should join an alcoholic recovery group. To reduce cravings, I suggest medications such as Acamprosate or...  Read Full »
How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full »
Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain of near ones makes you feel helpless. This weakens your strength somehow. Symptoms like lack of sleep, disturbance, and tension occur when you feel stressed for any reason. But you have to be strong for your brother. If you feel low, he will become worse and ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

What is the best treatment for oily scalp and hair?
Hello doctor,I completed my acne treatment one year ago and my skin is clear after some period of time. My scalp and fac ...Read more »
How Is H.Pylori Infection Diagnosed and Treated?
Helicobacter pylori (H.pylori) is a bacteria that infects your stomach. Approximately 50% of the world's population has ...Read more »
Is it normal to have foamy urine?
Hello doctor, My urine is foamy. I am confused whether everyone will get bubble and foamy urine while urinating. Please ...Read more »