Q. Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Alcoholism or Disulfiram? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am contacting you regarding an uncle of mine. He is 40 years old. His health issues are related to alcohol (beer). He drinks quite a few times a week. When he starts drinking, he drinks a few liters before stopping. He also smokes, but only sometimes. He finds heavy breathing after just minor physical activity. In his medical history, he has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, anemia, anxiety disorder, severe headache and sometimes constipation. He had also ulcer earlier and was recommended Omeprazole. He found this medicine to be helpful for him in the beginning only, but not now anymore.

I know of a fact that it is best for him to quit drinking alcohol or at least reduce the amount of it. He has been advised for this several times. But, he is addicted to it and is not easy for him to quit. My question is specifically related to alcohol. Is there any medication he can take before or after intake of alcohol which can be helpful for him in kind of safe drinking? He takes Omeprazole, but is not satisfied with the results.