Q. I shake my hands, fingers, legs and muscles of the face every day. Is this a disorder?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2021

I think I either have fasciculations or ALS, where I keep shaking some part of my body, which is from my childhood. My hands, fingers, legs, muscles of the face, calf muscles, ankles, eyebrows, etc., keep shaking. I do this all the time I am awake. Is this a disorder? Is there a way I can know what the problem is and how to address this? Kindly give your opinion.

#

The muscle twitching could be related to different possible causes, like benign fasciculation syndrome, Vitamin D deficiency, electrolyte imbalance, caffeine intake, anxiety, etc. I would exclude ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), considering such a long period of time and your age. I would recommend performing nerve conduction studies, Vitamin-D and electrolyte plasma levels, thyroid hormone levels, and ENG (Electronystagmography). It would help if you discussed with your doctor the above tests. Avoid caffeine and dehydration. I hope this was helpful. Please get back to further doubts.

Is it possible to have a consultation on this issue? Will be great if you could help give the prescription for the tests mentioned above and a scan. Kindly give your opinion.

#

You can print this answer and show it to your doctor.

Considering your complaints, I would recommend performing these tests:

1) Nerve conduction studies to investigate for possible neuropathy or motor neuron disease.

2) Vitamin-B12 and Vitamin-D plasma levels for possible deficiency.

3) Thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

4) Blood electrolytes (calcium, potassium, and magnesium) for possible deficiency.

It would help if you discussed with your doctor the above tests. I would be glad to review those test reports as soon as you can upload them.

I hope this was helpful.

|